Kendrick Lamar Will Perform At The White House On The Fourth Of July

IronFist

🎯 𝓘𝓵𝓵𝓾𝓼𝓽𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓓𝓪𝓻𝓽 🎯
Supporter
Daps
720x405-GettyImages-522976398.jpg

Six months after Kendrick Lamarsat down with President Barack Obama in the Oval Office, the rapper will return to the White House for a Fourth of July concert at an event honoring military heroes. Janelle Monae will also perform on the White House's South Lawn at the Independence Day celebration that also includes a barbecue and fireworks,Politico reports.

"White House staff and their families from throughout the administration will also attend this event for the fireworks viewing,” White House press secretary Josh Earnest confirmed to reporters Friday. “There will also be a performance on Monday evening by fellow Kansas Citian Janelle Monáe and Kendrick Lamar.”

In December, Obama revealed that Lamar's To Pimp a Butterfly standout "How Much a Dollar Cost" was his favorite song of 2015. A month later, Lamar visited the Oval Office to talk to POTUS to promote the Pay It Forward program, which encourages the mentoring of inner city youth.

Obama senior adviser Valerie Jarrett discussed the president's meeting with Lamar in an interview at the time. "You know what the president said to him," Jarrett said. "[Because Lamar] was a little nervous — bless his heart, he's really a very nice young man, and the president said, 'Can you believe that we're both sitting in this Oval Office?'"

Monae is also no stranger to the White House: The singer has previously recorded a track for First Lady Michelle Obama's "Let Girls Learn" program and attended an April summit to discuss criminal justice reform alongside dozens more artists.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz4DHpkBYHn
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Prince Cairo

Authentic
Daps
Reppin
Cairo, Egypt
I respect him as an artist for earning this distinction.

I wish I knew what the hype over his music was, though. Sounds terrible to my ears.