Kendrick sells only 286k first week….Flop?

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Bro I have a case full of albums I’ve purchased I’ll
Post if you want.

That’s not less manipulation. Because RIAA counted albums shipped and albums that stayed on the shelves for at least 60 days it had artists selling an extra million and going 2x platinum without them actually having to sell the album.

bro... soundscan and RIAA are two different things. Soundscan counted what was actually sold. We have those numbers.

Chip Skylark

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
bro... soundscan and RIAA are two different things. Soundscan counted what was actually sold. We have those numbers.

Bro I know I just explained how what was going on in the past was is no different than now. Streams that are counted are from people listening the same as soundscan counting an album.

You’re not saying how they numbers are being manipulated….. you got it! I’m watching the game my guy

FeverPitch2

Superstar
Daps
I'm still digging it. The hatred this album gets is overblown to me. :yeshrug:

But you're right about TPAB. That was Kendrick at his highest level in almost all categories. If he could somehow top that, it would be amazing.
I have a theory that once emcees who have deeper subject matter hit paydirt, then tend to believe that its the words that matter more than the music.
That aint the case.
The beat always has to be jammin. Regardless of how dope the rapper is or is not.
I think that's what happened here.
Dot was so focused on his part that the actual music was secondary and it showed, because there wasn't much actual music on this thing.
Dunno about other listeners but that was the issue I had with this album.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
I have a theory that once emcees who have deeper subject matter hit paydirt, then tend to believe that its the words that matter more than the music.
That aint the case.
The beat always has to be jammin. Regardless of how dope the rapper is or is not.
I think that's what happened here.
Dot was so focused on his part that the actual music was secondary and it showed, because there wasn't much actual music on this thing.
Dunno about other listeners but that was the issue I had with this album.
Cole had this same issue after the success of FHD. 4YEO was not what hiphop wanted then KOD missed as well.

The off-season was Cole finally giving people what they wanted.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bro I have a case full of albums I’ve purchased I’ll
Post if you want.

That’s not less manipulation. Because RIAA counted albums shipped and albums that stayed on the shelves for at least 60 days it had artists selling an extra million and going 2x platinum without them actually having to sell the album.

That sounds very similar to how people complain about how streams make people go gold and platinum doesn’t it?

Like I said the game is the same but the way it’s played is different. There’s nothing wrong with artists having their songs on playlist because it doesn’t guarantee it’ll get play but it’s marketing and the label is supposed to do it for artist exposure.

You’re not explaining how it’s been manipulated because your gripe is with labels and them promoting their artists. Which is supposed to happen. The more popular artist gets more promotion this is normal.

The only issue I have is it makes it hard to support many artists at once though it’s cheaper for the consumer.

Soundscan was a check against the RIAA though. Anyone who had access to Soundscan numbers can compare what albums actually sold vs. what they shipped. If we were to do that now, a lot of these sales would be horrible.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Thats not true.. they automatically add multiple tracks off new albums to top Playlists.. if it's someone like Drake and Cardi B or Doja Cat they are gonna throw their new tracks all over the rap playlists and then also the pop playlists so everyone is exposed to the music and everyone is hearing it whether they sought out those artists at all... it's irrelevant

The way music numbers used to be counted was less manipulation. SOUNDSCAN just simply counted how many albums were sold period.. nothing was forced
Soundscan didn't count, they estimated.
They only counted certain stores.

With streaming, this is real data, no estimation.

As for big artists getting more publicity than small acts, no shyt Shirlock, that's like the essence of major labels.
But they won't push artists who they don't believe will generate the most money either. It's not like they'd put Troy Ave on there and he'd all of a sudden become Drake. Just like it was with radio, mtv, billboards, magazines and shyt before. The point is for people to 1. not skip the song and more importantly 2. click on the artist.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
They don't have to. The artists are thrown on the playlists. That's how they game the numbers. When Tory Lanez dropped shortly after the meg incident they wouldn't put him on the front page of new music or put him on the playlists. They wanted to manipulate the numbers.
That is not how they generate most listeners, as you will see from “unique listeners” vs total plays. And I don’t know how not putting an artist on the front page or on playlists is manipulation. Back in the days the stores just wouldn’t carry an album or have just a few copies far in the back, and radio wouldn’t play it, no billboards up and on.

There is only so much space, you have to be properly connected to get your shyt on these private companies top of mind. It’s not a communist system. It’s like if I drop an album tomorrow, is it manipulation cause rap caviar won’t add me, and Apple Music won’t put me on the front page :dahell:

Last edited: