Lately I find myself speeding up the playback speed of Youtube videos

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I suppose this has been a thing for a long time now, but lately I find myself speeding up the playback on Youtube videos to 1.5 or 1.75x speed in order to get through it faster.

Some of it being that some Youtubers speak very slowly. Some of it being (I suspect) that Youtubers are purposely making their videos longwinded, and longer overall, in order to play to the algorithm.

I don't particularly mind long videos. If it's some history stuff or educational lesson or ASMR video...I don't mind sitting through half an hour or an hour of those things to learn or pass the time.

But when it comes to silly things like product reviews or Top Ten lists...frankly these things can be under 5 minutes, or skimmed in under a minute if it were a blog post.
Sure, you could argue that Youtube Shorts fills that need, but I don't find that to be a useful middle ground because those are often too short.

Do you speed up the playback of videos?
:lupe:

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
I don't speed up videos, but I noticed a lot of these youtubers intentionally drag out their videos to keep you engaged longer. Think about how many videos really only need to be 2-3 minutes long.

You watch a video called "Find out how this ancient king was betrayed!" and they'll spend 15 minutes giving you a history lesson.

Certain people I can't even watch anymore because once you see what they're doing it makes it worse watching them.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
I suppose this has been a thing for a long time now, but lately I find myself speeding up the playback on Youtube videos to 1.5 or 1.75x speed in order to get through it faster.

Some of it being that some Youtubers speak very slowly. Some of it being (I suspect) that Youtubers are purposely making their videos longwinded, and longer overall, in order to play to the algorithm.

I don't particularly mind long videos. If it's some history stuff or educational lesson or ASMR video...I don't mind sitting through half an hour or an hour of those things to learn or pass the time.

But when it comes to silly things like product reviews or Top Ten lists...frankly these things can be under 5 minutes, or skimmed in under a minute if it were a blog post.
Sure, you could argue that Youtube Shorts fills that need, but I don't find that to be a useful middle ground because those are often too short.

Do you speed up the playback of videos?
:lupe:
This is an indicator of early dementia on WebMD :sadcam:

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
I don't speed up videos, but I noticed a lot of these youtubers intentionally drag out their videos to keep you engaged longer.

It's like those click bait ads

Interesting story about a woman, tiger and a dildo.....click

40 pages later, the story finally picks up.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is an indicator of early dementia on WebMD :sadcam:
Everything is an indicator for some bullshyt.

Do you drink fluids? That's an indicator of alcoholism!!

fukkin people have had dementia forever. What fukkin sped up videos were Mildred and Edsel watching in the 1930s?
You tell me.

:beli:

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
Everything is an indicator for some bullshyt.

Do you drink fluids? That's an indicator of alcoholism!!

fukkin people have had dementia forever. What fukkin sped up videos were Mildred and Edsel watching in the 1930s?
You tell me.

:beli:
I was just saying shyt breh :whoa:

⠀X ⠀

Geoff
Daps
Only when the presenter speaks too slowly, to the point where it’s unbearable. Anything more than 1.5 is too much for a regular talker

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
You may have ADD. I listen to alot of long winded videos but Ive never had the urge to speed it up. I'd skips a few seconds at most, so they can get to the point but thats rare