Left Field Singles Review: Genre Snobbery

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
Hey, an article on genres and trends in music that I don't like! Read it here:

http://blog.the-coli.com/left-field-singles-review-genre-snobbery/

Note: I was going to compare the first song I reviewed to this annoying piece of crap:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svIFV5UeJ0c"]Rita Ora - R.I.P (Feat. Tinie Tempah) - YouTube[/ame]

But they weren't similar enough. You get one guess as to who wrote this and who it was written for. Easy question. If I can transfer Coli Cash, the winner gets 300. If not, you get a no-prize.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
I still think this is a amazing song haha

Last edited by a moderator:

Clem

Get out my way, pimpin'.
Daps
Reppin
California
Why did you write about a bunch of songs that you dislike?

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
I still think this is a amazing song haha

Charli XCX - Stay Away - YouTube

It's certainly better than the song I actually reviewed. I was just kind of neutral on it.

Why did you write about a bunch of songs that you dislike?

To put my biases on the table. Like I said in the intro, I don't like when reviewers have clear biases, but act as if they are objective commentators. Plus, it was kind of a fun topic to write about (minus listening to 5 Stars albums :scusthov:).

Plus, it's more of a genre bias than anything. I did actually like the Wild Nothing track, and Charli XCX has made songs I've liked as well. I'm just not a fan of the genres themselves. That doesn't mean that I won't recommend something from these genres. I mean, for fukk's sake, I just spent most of the night listening to SWV's first album (which is damn good) and I HATE most women's R&B from the 90s and beyond. I just thought it was something interesting to write about. You can't just write straight reviews all of the time.

Note on my scores, which I should have mentioned a while ago: If I rate it a 7 or above, that means that it was enjoyable. 8 is indisputably great, 9 is fantastic, 10 is a stone cold classic. This is why you haven't seen me rate anything above a strong 7 yet. That's not to say that there hasn't been 8 or above records to come out this year. Fiona Apple's new album was a light 9 and El-P's Cancer 4 Cure was at least a solid 8, which might be underrating it a bit. Most of the albums I examined in the Special Session article, even the overrated ones, were probably at least strong 7's or so, with about 3 or 4 exceptions.

It's just that the albums I really liked either came out a few months ago, therefore I'm not going to revisit them until the end of the year (C4C, Death Grips' The Money Store), would have a review that would take a form unsuitable for the site (Both of Laurel Halo's releases, Quarantine and the Spring EP as King Felix. I reviewed Quarantine for another site in a more truncated form, and yes, I loved it), or was an album that I've said everything I wanted about it on the forums, and thus a full review would be redundant (The Idler Wheel..., which I've praised at length on this board. By the time I sat down to write a review, I had nothing else to say about it. Purity Ring's new record also falls into this, for something I didn't quite like that much).

So it's all more circumstance more than anything :manny:.