Lovecraft Country' cancelled because of toxic and hostile work environment?

LevelUp

🧞🪔 𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙂𝙚𝙣𝙞𝙚 𝙤𝙛 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙇𝙖𝙢𝙥 🧞🪔
Daps
One of the surprises in your book was the claim that Lovecraft Country was canceled after HBO spent $150 million on its debut season because showrunner Misha Green allegedly created a “toxic” and “hostile” work environment, according to other writers on the show. Are there more details on what happened? Did Green respond to that accusation at all?

Lovecraft was a beautiful show in terms of its look, its narrative and what I would also consider to be an exceptional marriage of storytelling and music. When the show got canceled, there were two predominant explanations out there. One was it had gotten too expensive. The second was there wasn’t a compelling vision for the next season. It turns out neither was the real reason. I had several sources within HBO and elsewhere — people who worked on the show and people who represented people on the show — who said the environment on the show was not a healthy one. For HBO, it was a double-down on sadness — not only is it losing a show that was such an outlier in terms of what it was trying to say, but then to have a Black showrunner — and a female Black showrunner — is not something that happens every day, and people were incredibly excited about that. So, again, the word I come back to is “sadness” that it was not able to continue. [Contacted by THR, Green declined to comment.]

James Andrew Miller on Big Revelations in His HBO Book ‘Tinderbox’ – The Hollywood Reporter