Luce (Psycho-Drama starring Octavia Spencer, Naomi Watts, Tim Roth)

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

LUCE
Directed By:
Julius Onah
Release Date: Aug. 2
It's been ten years since Amy and Peter Edgar (Naomi Watts and Tim Roth) adopted their son from war-torn Eritrea, and they thought the worst was behind them. Luce Edgar (Kelvin Harrison Jr.) has become an all-star student beloved by his community in Arlington, Virginia. His African American teacher, Harriet Wilson (Octavia Spencer), believes he is a symbol of black excellence that sets a positive example for his peers. But when he is assigned to write an essay in the voice of a historical twentieth-century figure, Luce turns in a paper that makes an alarming statement about political violence. Worried about how this assignment reflects upon her star pupil, Harriet searches his locker and finds something that confirms her worst fears.

94% on RT so far
Luce (2019)

This looks dope. And between this and Ma, I'm loving the direction Octavia's career is going in.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I saw this at the West Coast premiere in April, the director and star were there too, it is easily the best I have seen this year, and will likely place high on any top lists at the end of 2019. Just a brilliant movie on all fronts, dark, gets under your skin in a format that is very akin to a play, with a lot of conversations, and excellent performances from every single cast member, including Spencer in a career high, and Tim Roth and Naomi Watts as a very liberal couple grappling with white guilt, shame, complicity, and a marriage.

Maxine Shaw

#ColiFam gave more $ 2 my students than my school
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
The most overrated piece of shyt since Crash. I'd be okay with that if it wasn't so boring and pointless b/c I stan for Octavia, but for fukk's sake. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I couldn't tell you the point of this story if I tried. All I know is that BOFUM - obnoxious teacher and creepy kid alike - needed to go somewhere and take a fukking nap.