Miami college basketball player threatens to transfer if his NIL $$$ don't go up!!

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
@charknicks (for some reason it won't let me quote you) but that's whats going to be interesting in how this new power coaches have where they can cut players is gonna play out. Basically, it's like a performance review. You miss tutoring sessions, late for practice/workouts, etc...coaches can now recommend to the school to pull your scholly. And like I said on the last pod we recorded, it's gonna get real spooky when these non-school affiliated NIL groups start paying for guys and expecting them to play. Gonna put coaches in a tough spot

charknicks

All Star
Daps
@charknicks (for some reason it won't let me quote you) but that's whats going to be interesting in how this new power coaches have where they can cut players is gonna play out. Basically, it's like a performance review. You miss tutoring sessions, late for practice/workouts, etc...coaches can now recommend to the school to pull your scholly. And like I said on the last pod we recorded, it's gonna get real spooky when these non-school affiliated NIL groups start paying for guys and expecting them to play. Gonna put coaches in a tough spot

True. But coaches already had that power via performance review for players. Each scholarship is renewed on a year by year basis anyway. Always has been, even before NIL (see, the new Grambling women's volleyball coach who let her whole team go). The difference now is that there is big money involved for the players now because alot of these deals they may have are tied into local companies in their schools' area, so they cant just up and leave and take that money with them. So the only recourse for a player like this is to scream from the mountain top that he wants more. He is hoping that another local Miami company signs him, or he gets another deal for more money at another school.

Also, now thinking about it, having these NIL deals doesnt entice the player to play harder for that school or coach really, cause they are getting money now. So again, the older power coaches aint trying to hear that noise. I wouldnt be if I was a 60, 65, 70 year old coach.

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
With the transfer rule came the option for coaches to get their normal recruiting classes along w/ 10 extra spots. That's how Mel and Lincoln were able to process damn near 40 new guys their first year on campus. Scholarships aren't renewed yr by yr anymore. That got changed in 2012 but its left up to the schools to follow. Again, that's why I say the anger steered toward the NCAA is misguided. That anger should be directed at the conferences and schools

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
He should play up the bired gun aspect. What team on the fringe needs a player ready to go and who can come in learn and run the offense.

Daps
But he doesnt have any leverage. Thats the problem. NIL is suppose to be about your own name, image and likeness. If he aint getting sponsorship offers playing in Miami, he just dont have this type of market.

The NIL and transfer market I feel is a good thing overall (some tweaks need to be done), but EVERYONE aint getting a piece of the pie. Or if you are, not as big a piece as you THINK you should be getting. Dude just dont have the market for himself (at this time, it seems)
I think it’s that, as currently constructed, NIL deals are being used more to lure new recruits and transfers, not to retain current talent. Only huge names for current students are getting really big deals. He’s trying to artificially create that market by threatening to leave. If he had the same level of talent but was an incoming freshman, he’d probably have better deals.