Reppin
NYC
Mikey Garcia Says Manny Pacquiao Fight Is Close To Being Finalized For May

NEWS
Mikey Garcia Says Manny Pacquiao Fight Is Close To Being Finalized For May
mikey-garcia%20(2)_16.jpg

BY MANOUK AKOPYAN
Published Tue Mar 02, 2021, 05:11 PM EST

The on-again, off-again fight between Mikey Garcia and Manny Pacquiao appears to be headed full steam ahead toward an official announcement.

If you ask Garcia (40-1, 30 KOs), he’s apparently in the driver’s seat to fight the Filipino legend and eight-division champion Pacquiao (62-7-2, 39 KOs).

“We’re finalizing all of the details. We hope to get the exact date and location in the next few days. We’re trying to get everything done for May,” Garcia told journalist Jo Ankier in a spontaneous chat in a vehicle moments after Canelo Alvarez’s win over Avni Yildirim on Saturday.

“It’s been in the works for a long time, particularly more in detail in the last year. Now, in the last few weeks, we’ve been getting very close to working on this and finalizing it. I’m pretty excited. We’ll have all of the details set in the next few days. It’s a matter of time. So far, it seems like all of the parties are on board. I’m excited for it.”

Garcia has long been a leading candidate to fight Pacquiao. In recent weeks, Ryan Garcia surfaced as a challenger for Pacquiao as well, but the rising star admitted over the weekend that the ship had sailed on a potential fight.

Both fighters have also released footage of themselves recently training.

The four-division champion Garcia, 33, sounded gung-ho about his upcoming clash with Pacquiao, 42.

“It’s a great fight. I think it’s great for my career, and for the fans. It’s very exciting for boxing in general to see this type of fight,” said Garcia. “We’ve been working on this for years. We were almost ready for this before COVID-19 happened. Now it seems like things are back on track. Now, to share the ring with a living legend like Manny does amazing things for my career. I just hope that the fans appreciate this. It’s not very often that you see two of the greatest fighters face each other. Right now, that’s what we’re about to do. I’m about to face a legend.”

A location in the Middle East has long been a frontrunner to pay a handsome site fee to stage the event. If the date ends up being in May like Garcia alludes to, finding a viable Saturday without competition could be problematic.

Alvarez is set to face Billy Joe Saunders on May 8 on DAZN, while the four-belt unification bout between super lightweights Jose Ramirez and Josh Taylor is slated for ESPN on May 22.

That would leave May 1 and May 15 as two possible dates without major competing events. Saturday, May 29 is part of Memorial Day weekend, a holiday often avoided by promoters.

Triller owner Ryan Kavanaugh told BoxingScene.com last week that he plans on staging Teofimo Lopez Jr. versus George Kambosos Jr. in May as well.

Pacquiao and Garcia both have ties to FOX Sports and Showtime, and a pay per view event would most likely be staged on one of the platforms.

Agent Mulder

Fight The Future
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Mikey is fine and all but I really got turned off with his performance against Spence. Left a sour taste.

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
He’s been wa ring this fight for along time, I’m sure his bro wants to beat him as a trainer too.

Yuzo

No nice guys in boxing
Daps
thats a nice fight because mikey garcia has a great straight right hand and manny pacquiao has a great straight left hand.

producingfire

Music Producer
Daps
Reppin
Miami
Mikey Vs Pacman? well it is entertainment, but man Pac vs Spence or Pac vs Crawford I would love to see if the new guard of boxing is ready to take the mantle of the sport.

Conscious Pilot

Do Better.
Daps
Reppin
Beaches and Palm Trees
I remember this fight being in rumors for a while now, shame if it happens it won’t be for a belt.

We all know fat ass Garcia’s heart isn’t in boxing like that, but it’s an intriguing matchup for guys around the same size(naturally undersized Welter’s). Mikey is a a pretty big name as well being Mexican and Manny is one the biggest draws in the sport and an All Time Legend. I could tell what kind of time Pac-Man was on when he forgot English after the Spence/Mikey fight. He may not mind a risky fight but he ain’t trying to get his ass beat the on his way out.

Us checking for boxing news everyday fans may not have been clamoring for it ...but we’re all gonna be watching it on fight night , regardless of what we think about the matchup :heh:

Last edited: