Millions of U.S. workers are still missing as the pandemic recedes. Where did they go?

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Their either died or are too weak from illness to go back to work

Long term COVID, from what I heard, knocked off 5% of all workers in the economy pre-COVID, the ones that actually survived direct contact with the virus. :merchant:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
This. even though I retired before COVID I know a lot of people who just said fukk it after COVID.

Enforced stops to smell the roses incresed the likelyhood they would stop to smell the roses.

shyt really made people revavluate their lives.

This is reality for a lot of office workers:

The pre-pandemic way of life is :scust: in every possible way

Daps
Reppin
NULL
What gives? Economists acknowledge that data about what motivates workers to drop out are hard to come by, and that trends underpinning their research, such as a drop in immigration, have changed over the pandemic’s course.
You gotta be fukking kidding me

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
in terms of no skill or low skill jobs, people just quit those and are sitting on their ass because, even though those jobs suck and the pay is abysmal, the worker themselves don't have any other skills (which is why they picked that job to begin with). Most are sitting on their ass or doing gig work, they will return once they need steady pay.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
This. even though I retired before COVID I know a lot of people who just said fukk it after COVID.

Enforced stops to smell the roses incresed the likelyhood they would stop to smell the roses.

shyt really made people revavluate their lives.

This is reality for a lot of office workers:

went to school and live in a city with a lot of this.

BulletProof

Just a B@stard Living in a Suit
Daps
Reppin
Neck ties and boxing gloves.
Dead or abandoned jobs that they had wanted to leave for years but didnt have the courage to do so on their own.

Working culture has and is shifting from the 80s roboticly working your life away to make your boss rich as a moral concept to quality of life balance to actually experience the life you work.

Im not a zoomer. Im 36. I think the pandemic was a brutally harsh lesson that life is short and you're only guaranteed the one.

To not learn that lesson only contributes furthur to the tragedy.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
went to school and live in a city with a lot of this.
At the job I had before I joined the Army for 9/11 that was low key me. It wasn't solely patriotic reasons why I joined I wanted an escape although I expected to serve a couple of years then return to civvy life I knew I'd wouldn't come back to first level management job.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
in terms of no skill or low skill jobs, people just quit those and are sitting on their ass because, even though those jobs suck and the pay is abysmal, the worker themselves don't have any other skills (which is why they picked that job to begin with). Most are sitting on their ass or doing gig work, they will return once they need steady pay.
Correct

Cobalt Sire

All Star
Daps
The labor market should have too many jobs available. Jobs should be falling out of the sky as far as I'm concerned after living through the Great Recession. It's pay back time for ruining my younger years.