Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Mind-Altering Cat Parasite May Trigger Frailty in Older People
HEALTH
13 November 2023
ByDAVID NIELD
Cat With Orange Eyes
(Tengyart/Unsplash)
An infamous parasite primarily carried by cats, Toxoplasma gondii, could be responsible for increased frailty in older adults, a new study reveals – and with 11-15 percent of people in the US thought to have been infected by it at some point, that's a significant finding.

The discovery, made by an international team of researchers, adds to what we already know about T. gondii: that it can cause flu-like symptoms in many, and more serious issues such as seizures in people with weaker immune systems.

"We often think of T. gondii infection as relatively asymptomatic, but this study highlights that for some people it may have significant health consequences later on," says physiologist Christopher Lowry from the University of Colorado Boulder

The research team suspected that the parasite may be one of the causes of 'inflammaging', or persistent age-related inflammation that contributes to frailty. Blood tests from 601 Spanish and Portuguese adults aged over 65 were analyzed for measures of frailty, including unintentional weight loss, tiredness, and loss of mental sharpness.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
This reminds me, I always wanted a cat spin off of "Ol' Yeller" with an old lady.

Margaret has to put "Nibbles" down :demonic:
cat-cats.gif

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
god willing if you have grandparents still... how frail are they? and wouldnt they benefit more from the company of a fine feline :usure:
No. My Grandpa is 98 and still wants a dog. Since his dog Max died. My Granddad fought in WW2 and wouldn't be caught dead with a cat. He's a real man. :umad: