Monsieur Spade (new Scott Frank Show starring Clive Owen 20 years after The Maltese Falcon) (AMC)

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
The show hits the gas around ep 3 or so. Everything out of every characters mouth after he interrogates the soldier is a bar. Once they finish setting up the players and just let them run into each other they've been killing it.
Let my mom watch last night, she enjoyed it

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
The show hits the gas around ep 3 or so. Everything out of every characters mouth after he interrogates the soldier is a bar. Once they finish setting up the players and just let them run into each other they've been killing it.
You don't see this often on TV anymore. So many side or fringe characters chewing up multiple scenes together (without the main characters) and it just works. The setting being a character in of itself helps. Damn near everyone in the town knows something, they've all conspired to protect something and they all have secrets they're keeping.

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
Solid ending. Honestly felt like tthe last quarter of a movie in the best way. Dialog been fire these last few eps still.

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
You don't see this often on TV anymore. So many side or fringe characters chewing up multiple scenes together (without the main characters) and it just works. The setting being a character in of itself helps. Damn near everyone in the town knows something, they've all conspired to protect something and they all have secrets they're keeping.
Still thinking about how this and how the show ruled. I actually thought about it and the only thing I can think of that comes close to this was Justified. Justified did such a great job making you like or appreciate every character, even the ones that only show up for one or two episodes.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Finale definitely felt like a film for much of the episode. Impressive conclusion, although I wasn't a big fan of the Columbo/Knives Out style "summation gathering" trope scene where everything is explained; not because I dislike the trope, I just didn't like the way it was done (no banter between multiple characters who I would have loved to converse). There was at least some fun humor there, with the Canadian who clearly was not Canadian lol.

Really, REALLY enjoyed this show. The southern France setting was beautiful and boy did that town come alive in a way you rarely see in any show or film. The streets, the countryside, the cafe...beautiful.

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
Loved it. Old school, dialogue driven noir detective show.

Didn't love the season finale though, felt rushed and a bit too whimsical at the end. I feel it would've worked better if it was a two part finale to tie it all up.