Music Venues are getting too Loud w/ Volume Levels

MusicConsulting

All Star
Daps
FKA Twigs Concert-

Recently I went to a FKA twigs concert, I had to bring noise reduction headphones because of the volume level. Here's something I noticed, no one had any ear protectors that I could see, there was no warning about sound levels going over the limits. You could tell just w/ the bass that we were exceeding the levels that a human being should be exposed to.

it isn't just music venues, I went to movie theaters,malls and at the art exhibits - the dj's have no clue to the level of damage they could be inducing. It seems like most people are oblivious to bringing their kids into loud environments either.

There should be a decibel reading on the walls at all times. Because it is clear no one is monitoring the sound levels at ANY of these venues.

Tinnitus (ringing induced by hearing damage caused by loud levels of sound) is no joke and you can get it from exposure to loud sound such as this and for some people the ringing can drive you mad. There are kids right now who have it, because they weren't aware of the live events they were going to, no one was monitoring any of the sound levels.

I just can't see how being in a venue for more than a half hour w/ that level of sound will help you in any way. This is a warning to people who are going to live venues, no one is safeguarding shyt, just bring noise reduction headphones at most venues you go especially if you are an audio professional.

*rant done*

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Protect Your Hearing With Earplugs That Rock
High-fidelity earplugs crank down the volume without muffling the music. A look at the V-Moda Faders VIP, Etymotic ETY Plugs ER20 and Earasers

BN-DI879_earplu_F_20140620112929.jpg
ENLARGE
From left: V-Moda Faders VIP, Etymotic ETY Plugs ER20 and Earasers Musicians PlugsF. MARTIN RAMIN/THE WALL STREET JOURNAL (3)
By
MICHAEL HSU
Updated June 20, 2014 4:07 p.m. ET
1 COMMENTS
IF YOU PLAN ON hitting a string of summer concerts this season, invest in a great pair of earplugs. Unlike standard foam models, which muffle as much as they mute, high-fidelity plugs dial down tones more evenly across the spectrum. Live music sounds quieter, but not distant.

This type of earplug also lowers the volume less drastically than foam versions—by 12dB instead of around 30dB. According to Dr. Cory Portnuff, an audiologist at the University of Colorado Hospital who has done extensive research in music-induced hearing loss in teens and young adults, that 12dB reduction should be enough for casual concert-goers. "You don't always need the maximum protection," he said, adding that how long you're exposed to loud sounds is just as important as the volume. More protection would be warranted at an all-day music festival, he said, or at extremely loud concerts—those at which you have to shout to be heard by someone standing an arm's distance away.

As with all earplugs, these models only protect your hearing when worn properly. Dr. Portnuff suggested a simple test: Say the words "boom" and "beat" while wearing the earplugs. If "boom" sounds louder to you than "beat" in either ear, the earplug needs to be pushed farther in. (This works because of a phenomenon known as the occlusion effect.)

We tested three high-fidelity earplugs at the Bowery Ballroom, a venue in New York City. Each had distinct acoustic quirks, but we'd be hard-pressed to say one was superior to another. Besides, the sound will vary depending on how well the earplugs fit in your ear canal. We recommend going with the model whose form you're most comfortable wearing, but here's how each performed under high levels of sound pressure.

OD-BC764_EARPLU_DV_20140618140501.jpg
ENLARGE
V-Moda Faders VIP F. MARTIN RAMIN/THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
Easiest to Fit: V-Moda Faders VIP. With the same look and shape as standard earbuds, these are the quickest to pop in and out of your ears. Each pair includes four sets of silicone tips in various sizes, greatly simplifying the process of getting a comfortable fit. To our ears, the Faders VIP offered the most pronounced volume reduction, but likewise cut high frequencies most drastically, too. $20, v-moda.com

OD-BC759_EARPLU_DV_20140618135627.jpg
ENLARGE
Etymotic ETY Plugs ER20 F. MARTIN RAMIN/THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
Most Ubiquitous: Etymotic ETY Plugs ER20. These triple-flange earplugs take some practice to seat properly in your ear (tip: tug the top of your ear up as you insert), but they have a pleasingly bright high end. They're also among the easiest to purchase: They're being sold at a few large concert venues this summer, and are distributed under a number of different brand names, including Hearos, Vic Firth and Earlove. $13, etymotic.com

OD-BC758_EARPLU_DV_20140618135526.jpg
ENLARGE
Earasers Musicians Plugs F. MARTIN RAMIN/THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
Most Discreet: Earasers Musicians Plugs. If you're concerned that your friends will look at you funny for wearing earplugs, this minuscule model, made of clear medical-grade silicone, is your best bet. Earasers sit almost entirely inside the ear canal, making them all but invisible. We found that their soft silicone construction was the most comfortable to wear for extended periods. Their only drawback is that they come in three sizes that vary quite dramatically, which could make it hard to find the perfect fit. If yours aren't snug, the manufacturer will exchange them for a different size. $50, earasers.net

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
I can fully agree to this....

Particularly if you are in the media entertainment field you are exposed to years of extreme volume levels ....

It takes a toll on ya....

Even in my hiatus from the music field a doctor noticed a 15% loss in my hearing. ..,,,

I can't afford anymore exposure

Even nightclubs are horrible for me....

I thought I was just old..but I think with the advances in digital audio quality. .the volume levels are JUST TOO DAMN HIGH :damn:

Daps
Reppin
VOID
Nah...you're getting too old.

Or just wear headphones. Concerts are supposed to be loud I don't know why you complaining.

FeloniousMonk

Dont mind me..Im a azzhole
Daps
Reppin
Them Lo Lifes...
I can fully agree to this....

Particularly if you are in the media entertainment field you are exposed to years of extreme volume levels ....

It takes a toll on ya....
Yet, theres a diff between someone who doesn't frequent concerts and think the sound is loud...duh, they dont account for house acoustics, density of people. speaker placement, where you are standing in relation to the cabinets etc..

Dj's probably have it worst next to live musicians..