My Board Game Journey - I'ma Publish a Board Game

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
Decided to create this thread about board game creation because I decided I'ma make one, specifically to go along with my Sci-Fi novel and I am probably gonna make an online version of my game once I make the board game. This is my strategy in order to sell books as an independent writer and ultimately lead more opportunities to monetize my IP in order to move on to bigger and grander things. Starting with the smallest things - like a novel and a board game and incrementally lead up to a video game and a movie or a TV show.

1st thing first though is preliminary research.

I discovered that the underground board game industry is a multi-billion dollar industry and there are millions of people that play board games - hardcore board games, the Shadow of Colossus of board games. Monopoly and the like are the Call of Duty of board games. I didn't understand this at first. The hardcore "board games" you typically think of is like Magick the Gathering.

There countless of board game stores and meet-ups. There are board game developers all around the world that communicate on social media. There are forums full of gamers.

I am planning on going to a few of these meet-ups and rub shoulders with the community and buy some board games that would be similar to the game I want to make.

Underground board games that I plan to buy include Twilight Struggle and Scythe.

Also, I'ma begin studying what makes a game a game.

Last edited:

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
Update #1

I've decided that I am going to start small. I found out the cost of making a card based game is around $2000 to $4000. The cost of making a full sized board game is in the upwards of $10,000.

My card based game, I am planning on just paying for it out of pocket. I thought about using crowdfunding, but I am against crowdfunding for various reasons. If I am to do crowdfunding, I want to do it in a way that would financially benefit my funders. Probably would make them shareholders of the game itself, so if it turns a profit, they get a dividend.

My card-based game will be geared towards the educational market but also a fun party game. So you can play with your kids or play with other adults and learn something.

Marzupial

Banned
Daps
I'm actually about to launch a crowdfunding campaign for a board game I created. It's called Billions Below. It's like Monopoly except each player starts with $500 Million and they bid against each other for mining and oil explorations worldwide. The richest player after 1 hour wins.

QcsnsqQ

MpbSq9H

view

So you said you were against crowd funding what made you change your mind?

Also any specific place where you found out that there's a lot of demand on board games? One of my dreams is to find a way I could get access to the most demanded products from each and every store

lib123

All Star
Daps
So you said you were against crowd funding what made you change your mind?

Also any specific place where you found out that there's a lot of demand on board games? One of my dreams is to find a way I could get access to the most demanded products from each and every store

I didn’t say I was against crowdfunding. If you search google, there’s a lot of industry info about resurgence of board game popularity. I think it’s being driven by more bars having games for patrons to play.

Marzupial

Banned
Daps
Update #1

I've decided that I am going to start small. I found out the cost of making a card based game is around $2000 to $4000. The cost of making a full sized board game is in the upwards of $10,000.

My card based game, I am planning on just paying for it out of pocket. I thought about using crowdfunding, but I am against crowdfunding for various reasons. If I am to do crowdfunding, I want to do it in a way that would financially benefit my funders. Probably would make them shareholders of the game itself, so if it turns a profit, they get a dividend.

My card-based game will be geared towards the educational market but also a fun party game. So you can play with your kids or play with other adults and learn something.

Salute for your project but you literally said you were against it you just didn't tell the reasons why.

You did say in the next phrase that you would do it if benefited your funders financially so what's that about?

I might throw some money your way...
I didn’t say I was against crowdfunding. If you search google, there’s a lot of industry info about resurgence of board game popularity. I think it’s being driven by more bars having games for patrons to play.

lib123

All Star
Daps
Salute for your project but you literally said you were against it you just didn't tell the reasons why.

You did say in the next phrase that you would do it if benefited your funders financially so what's that about?

I might throw some money your way...

Wrong username. I'm not AlainLocke.

ThaBronxBully

Postin’ & Toastin’ Since 02’
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I Wish You Positivity And Luck But I Couldn’t Help But Think Of That BulletBall Dude Reading The Thread Title lol