Nas - King's Disease III (Discussion Thread)

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
I don’t think they were trying to recreate the aura…quite the opposite actually. I still don’t really get the overarching theme for the Magic series and KD series and why which is which…like what distinguishes one from the other, etc… Initially I thought the KD series was gonna be the big production kind of records, just jammin ass songs…and Magic was gonna be the more dirty/hip hop bop…but that wasn’t necessarily the case at all past part 1 of each..

But yeah, imo they’re just all albums they put together and Magic 1 is the gutter/street one out of the bunch. Probably the most concise project out of the bunch, there’s really nothing below good on there imo.

KD2 definitely felt like KD1, just more grandiose. The way I see it, the King's Disease albums have more of a red carpet feeling, with production that always felt like Hit-Boy found new equipment with each part of the trilogy. It's like how Michael Jackson always wanted his albums to sound ahead of their time, with the newest technology. Compare KD1 which was released at the height of the pandemic and KD3 which was the highly anticipated album released at the end of 2022. One sounds quieter and warmer, and the other one sounds more urgent and in your face.

The Magic series is more for experimentation. Magic 1 was an underground mixtape released as an album, almost like you weren't supposed to ever hear those songs. This is the kind of album Nas could make in his sleep, but it's cold and harsh in a way the KD albums weren't. Magic 2 doesn't sound like the first one, but Nas is rapping over stuff that wouldn't fit on the KD albums ("Bokeem Woodbine," "Black Magic," "Slow it Down"). The production/mixing has this grime and unpolished feel to it, mostly because Dave Kim had limited time to get it finished. Once again, it has that feeling of an underground mixtape.

Magic 3 sounds more grandiose than the first two, but not in the same way as the KD trilogy. It reminds me of Magic 1 in that it's cold and harsh at times ("Fever," "TSK," "Pretty Young Girl," "Sitting with My Thoughts"), but it has a little KD sprinkled in ("Jodeci Member," "Blue Bentley," "Japanese Soul Bar"). Magic 3 sounds like a rock album, and I could see Nas performing these songs in concert with a live band. You could throw in drum solos and guitar riffs to these songs and all of a sudden, it's like listening to arena rock in the 80s. "No Tears" is pretty much a rock ballad if you remove the raps.

Air Nikes N Hats

Poor mans Johnny Football Lifestyle!
Daps
Reppin
SINY!!
To think about all the material that was left off these six albums. I do hope Nas considers closing out the Lost Tapes as a trilogy with material that didnt make the albums. IMO I think an album of that material would help up really well against the KD and Magic trilogies. Tracks that didnt make the cut probably didnt fit the respective themes for each project. It would be a solid compilation of dope (solely on their own merit) tracks......14-16 bangers.

TheJet

Superstar
Daps
To think about all the material that was left off these six albums. I do hope Nas considers closing out the Lost Tapes as a trilogy with material that didnt make the albums. IMO I think an album of that material would help up really well against the KD and Magic trilogies. Tracks that didnt make the cut probably didnt fit the respective themes for each project. It would be a solid compilation of dope (solely on their own merit) tracks......14-16 bangers.
The Lost Kings Magic

John Mexico

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Henderson, NV
I don’t think they were trying to recreate the aura…quite the opposite actually. I still don’t really get the overarching theme for the Magic series and KD series and why which is which…like what distinguishes one from the other, etc… Initially I thought the KD series was gonna be the big production kind of records, just jammin ass songs…and Magic was gonna be the more dirty/hip hop bop…but that wasn’t necessarily the case at all past part 1 of each..

But yeah, imo they’re just all albums they put together and Magic 1 is the gutter/street one out of the bunch. Probably the most concise project out of the bunch, there’s really nothing below good on there imo.

I think KDII has the most diverse musical palette of all the records. I think w/ KDIII Hit just perfected the Dolby Atmos grandiosity, especially something like Michael and Quincy, or something like Thun which who actually sounds it could fit with 90s, 00s, or 10s Nas