NAS TIRED OF CELEBRATING illmatic

Discussion in 'The Booth' started by waynep, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Wacky D

Wacky D PROVOCATIVE POSTING Bushed

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

that fact that yall keep comparing them to mary j blige, says it all.

2. JustCKing

JustCKing Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

The dude you are co-signing is the one who started the comparison. It isn't even about comparing The Fugees to Mary. The only reason either was brought up is because Lauryn if The Fugees is featured on "If I Ruled The World" and Mary is featured on "Can't Knock The Hustle". And this was all because of the whole Nas vs. Jay in 1996 argument in regard to who was getting more airplay.

Wacky D dapped this.
  3. Piff Perkins

Piff Perkins Veteran

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $130321.00

Nas had the bigger song. If I Ruled The World was bigger than any song on RD. Street Dreams was more successful. But I get the argument that RD had more songs getting play. That album overall has better "NY radio records" than IWW. Once you get past The Message/Streets Dreams/If I Ruled The World and maybe Black Girl Lost for the ladies, the rest of that album isn't really the type of shyt that would bump on the radio like...Dead Presidents or D'Evils etc. Of course this isn't the strongest argument because it's basically like saying "well outside of 3 huge songs, IWW wasn't getting much play" which isn't a fair argument. The point simply is that RD may have had more songs getting play. Doesn't mean RD was the hotter album, it wasn't.

I would argue that going forward, Jay clearly was the better artist when it came to singles - I'm not talking about ladies tracks, party anthems, etc. Street tracks that got burn at radio. Going back to my bangers argument, Nas had two huge ones on his next album (Nas Is Like, Hate Me Now) but those types of tracks started petering out of his career whereas Hov kept stacking them album after album.

4. spliz

spliz SplizThaDon

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
    Coli Cash:
    $344000.00

Stillmatic had Got Urself a Gun. Which every nikka freestyled to that beat. He had Ether and One Mic as well. Then the next album after that he had Made You Look which was EVERYWHERE in the streets. shyt street nikkas was even playing I Can. I used to hear nikkas blasting that shyt on Jamaica Ave. Nas didn’t start teetering off with Street Singles until Street’s Disciple which he did on purpose. But he still had Just A Moment on that album. On HHID there was songs that SHOULDVE been street singles but werent. shyt like Money Over Bullshyt, Black Republican, and Hold Down The Block(which mad hood nikkas fukked wit). And to keep it real. Those were better than any street single off Kingdom Come. U consistently don’t tell the whole story when it comes to this type of shyt. And also. Where are u from?

5. Wacky D

Wacky D PROVOCATIVE POSTING Bushed

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

:scust:

Peak dapped this.
  6. spliz

spliz SplizThaDon

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Coli Cash:
    $344000.00

What wrong wit that?

7. Zero

Zero Caution When Wet

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $308105.00

:damn:

Wacky D dapped this.
  8. Life is Good

Life is Good All Star

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

Clowns they truly are.
    One thing about Nas that most people who know him respect is he don’t tend to go back and forth with people who’s negative and sole purpose is to hate. Nas interview statement about the celebration of Illmatic was posted over 2 weeks ago and there are people on this forum still hating and trying to paint a negative narrative about Nas music. Let the clowns argue amongst themselves.

JustCKing and spliz dapped this.
  9. spliz

spliz SplizThaDon

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Coli Cash:
    $344000.00

Too bad majority of what he said was bullshyt and he should be the last one talking to black people about what the fukk “cac rap’ is being that he’s a fukkin white boy who says nikka. Also. Our boy Roc Marci’s fav Nas album was IWW. Direct from the source.

And u can hear the influence in his bars and music. Most of the emcees we fukk wit the most will tell u the same shyt about IWW. Even Kool G Rap has said it. But y’all keep painting these bullshyt narratives. I SAW the love IWW got on the streets. Bum ass internet nikkas tryna argue wit me over this shyt.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  10. JustCKing

JustCKing Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

Never seen this quote until now. I think I said something to this degree in this thread. I fully agree with that statement. Nas upped the ante with IWW in regard to songwriting.

spliz dapped this.
  11. spliz

spliz SplizThaDon

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Coli Cash:
    $344000.00

It’s clearly apparent when u listen to the album with non bias ears. His songwriting CLEARLY improved. And his lyrics and delivery was sharper. Kool G Rap said the same shyt. A lotta dope lyricists respect IWW. Like I said. Big Mel and Zero and including myself have Roc Marci as basically the GOAT of the 2010’s. And that shyt came straight out the horses mouth. Yet Big Mel shytting on the album and callin nikkas goofy for liking it. Here’s another quote.

Basically saying certain nikkas was hating because it wasn’t Illmatic. And hated on the beats not really cause they was wack but because of who produced it. But listening to the album he feels it’s Nas’ best work.
    For instance. My little brother who’s 24 now loves Illmatic. Bumped it all day. He loved IWW too cause I always played it around him when he was younger. He went back to IWW for himself and listened to it straight thru. It instantly became his fav Nas album. He can’t even comprehend how anyone hated on anything involving that album. From the beats to the concepts to the lyrics. He feels it’s Nas’ best album as well.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  12. Cladyclad

Cladyclad The Negg-er Coli loves to hate Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
    Coli Cash:
    $358100.00

Lol

13. waynep

waynep Pro

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

This thread is still going smh
    Man I wish I never posted this.

spliz dapped this.
  14. spliz

spliz SplizThaDon

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Coli Cash:
    $344000.00

What’s so funny?

15. JustCKing

JustCKing Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

Breh, it's a Nas thread on The Coli which will have the following coming out of the wood work:

1) Jay Z stans who are still stuck in 2001-2002

2) Dip Set stans who are still stuck in 2002

3) Current generation stans who hate that vets like Nas still have fans

4) @Big Mel with his usual swipes at Nas especially post Illmatic Nas

5) Last, but not least, the "let's downplay Nas's legacy" just because or at the very least troll his fans