NAS TIRED OF CELEBRATING illmatic

Discussion in 'The Booth' started by waynep, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Tres Leches

Tres Leches Empire Business

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $359134.00

Don’t forget sunshine :mjlol:

2. Wacky D

Wacky D PROVOCATIVE POSTING

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

im simply talking hip-hop.

if you think im hating, then youre probably a groupie............and looking at your name, its obvious that you are one.

and I wasn't in this thread for no 3 weeks, didn't read the article to know what nas' opinion was, nor was I arguing about it. I was mainly in here for the '96 discussion.

SMH. look at you, waving your pom-poms in anger over a rapper that could care less about your existence, while not even knowing whats going on in here.

:dahell:

that was the rawest song on daytime radio/video at the time.

the song title and hook alone.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  3. spliz

spliz SplizThaDon

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
    Coli Cash:
    $344000.00

If we going off of lyrics. Than “If I Ruled The World” shouldnt qualify as commercial either then am I right? Cause there wasn’t anything lyrically commercial about that song. But that damn “Ain’t No nikka” shyt was some jiggy crossover shyt. That happy ass beat bro. Lol. Come on. Also the person u were just arguing with knows Nas.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    JustCKing dapped this.
  4. Wacky D

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

even if he knows Nas, I bet Nas still wouldnt spit on him if he was on fire.

as for "if I ruled the world", I don't think I called it commercial.
    but it was definitely designed in hopes of taking Nas mainstream. plus it was too formulaic. it was basically just a bigger-budget rehash of AZ sugar hill.
    and for a guy who was just rapping for the backpacks a minute ago, it was way too glossy.

the "aint no nikka" beat is a classic funk sample that became synonymous with old school hip-hop.

5. spliz

spliz SplizThaDon

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Coli Cash:
    $344000.00

See now this is where it’s full of shyt. Cause it’s not remotely like Sugar Hill other than the hook having a singer. The nikka def was tryna make a hit while still having it have hip hop roots. U mention the funk sample being hip hop yet don’t mention the fact that Nas sampled 2 actual hip hop songs. By DEFAULT “If I Ruled The World” is more hip hop than “Ain’t No nikka”. That whole song is basically a throwback to 80s hip hop. Where the fukk was the outrage for AZ who was on some backpacker hip hop shyt and was on the Illmatic album. Yet he fukkin drops Sugar Hill as a single and Mo Money Mo Murder was more mafioso than ANYTHING on IWW. Yet he didn’t catch that backlash. “If I Ruled The World” was more hip hop than fukkin majority of the singles Biggie been droppin since RTD came out up until that point. From “Juicy” to “Big Poppa” to “One More Chance” to “Get Money” etc etc. all them RnB ass samples n shyt. And that shyt sounded CLEAN and glossy like some west coast shyt. Not gritty like East Coast. Yet it’s cool for him tho. nikkas just afraid to admit that Nas got unfair judgment compared to his contemporaries. No one wants to be honest about that. Also “Ain’t No nikka” wasn’t the most “raw” shyt on the radio when u had shyt like Hell On Earth etc etc as singles n shyt.

Mike the Executioner and mobbinfms dapped this.
  6. Wacky D

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

it is exactly like sugar hill. '80 sample, girl on the hook, rapping about a fantasy hood world.
    he went str8 to the playbook.

yea, but the funk sample turned into hip-hop classics by the furious five & EPMD. again, a throwback to '70s/80s hip-hop. just like IIRTW.
    and I never faulted nas at all for sampling kurtis blow & whodini, aside from the fact that his song wasn't as good as either of theirs or AZ chit, so I never liked Nas song. but I never criticized him for the samples. you gotta take that argument up with someone else.

sugar hill was AZ 1st video tho, and he didn't have the machine behind him neither.
    plus AZ was always low-pro and underrated. its pointless to be overly-critical of a guy like that. LOL.

I never really liked biggie. so again, not my argument. besides, biggie was catching heavy flack for those R2D singles and would've caught way worse heat than Nas had he lived when LAD dropped. that album would've been seen in an entirely different light.

btw
    IWW >>> LAD

mobbinfms dapped this.
  7. spliz

spliz SplizThaDon

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Coli Cash:
    $344000.00

:what: no it’s not if that’s the cause u can say Sugar Hill bit off a bunch of other shyt. Sugar Hill ain’t got lines like “open ya eyes to the lies, history’s told foul, but I’m as wise as the old owl, plus the gold child..”. The whole concept for Sugar Hill was completely different than If I Ruled The World. shyt AZ caught flack from the REAL Azie for Sugar Hill. Nas’ song is a stream of consciousness “what if” type track.

mobbinfms dapped this.
  8. Wacky D

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

minor adjustments.

tons of similar lines within both songs as well.

9. spliz

spliz SplizThaDon

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Coli Cash:
    $344000.00

Nah. And quote the similar lines.

JustCKing dapped this.
  10. JustCKing

JustCKing Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

He doesn't even know what he's arguing. I posted how L.E.S. basically gave AZ a beat similar to "Life's a bytch" and AZ made a happier version of the song. Yet @Wacky D is trying to make it like "Sugar Hill" is the formula for "If I Ruled The World" when the only things they have in common are females on the hook and the whole "imagine" angle. Yet "Juicy" has the same approach down to the R&B hook. Differences is that Nas didn't sample an '80's R&B record and his concept was imagining the world under his authority vs. imagining how life would be if he wasn't broke.

spliz and mobbinfms dapped this.
  11. Wacky D

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

what does that even matter??

a lot of the beats larry smith gave to whodini were borderline r&b anyway. hence, one of the reasons why they were the ones that broke into r&b radio playlists.

:comeon:

12. JustCKing

JustCKing Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

The beat for "Friends" is by no means the same as The Gap Band's "Yearning For Your Love" or "Sugar Free", which was sampled on "Sugar Hill". And as commercial as "If I Ruled The World" is, it feels way darker.

13. Wacky D

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

"sugar free" could've easily been a beat that would fit right into a kurtis blow or whodini album.

theres nothing dark about "if I ruled the world" aside from the video lensing or whatever its called.

14. Big Mark

Big Mark All Star

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

I actually prefer If I Ruled The World to both Juicy and Sugar Free. If I Ruled the World is much more creative. Lyrically, all of them are excellent but I have to give Nas the nod on this. I'd also go on to say that AZ was a little more lyrically complex on Sugar Free than Juicy.

JustCKing dapped this.
  15. JustCKing

JustCKing Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

I'm not talking about whether it would've fit on one of their albums. I'm comparing the Nas and AZ songs and the samples used.

The whole feel of "If I Ruled The World" is dark.

Kaan and spliz dapped this.