Natural History Museum in NYC New Exhibition 'Ice Cold' Puts Hip-hop Jewelry on Display

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
At the American Museum of Natural History, hip-hop is being celebrated through custom-made jewelry belonging to some of its biggest stars. The exhibition is called "Ice Cold," and the rocks are fittingly located among all the other gems in the Allison and Roberto Mignone Halls of Gems and Minerals.

“When you see it in context, hip-hop jewelry in the context of the world history of gems and minerals, it makes all the sense,” Vikki Tobak, guest curator for "Ice Cold," said.

What You Need To Know

• "Ice Cold" is a new exhibition of hip-hop jewelry on display now at the American Museum of Natural History
  • The display is located inside the Allison and Roberto Mignone Halls of Gems and Minerals
  • It runs through Jan. 5, 2025

Legendary rapper Roxanne Shante, of Queens, said one of the pieces on display is one of her nearest and dearest. It’s a Juice Crew ring given to Shante, one of a select few to receive it.

“People would look for people with a juice ring, and you knew that was a person you could trust, and it was a person that was loyal, and that’s the reason why I placed my ring here, because I wanted to represent that side of hip-hop,” Shante said.

“For me that’s one of the natural things about the museum, ways in which each object in the museum can be a pathway to a much bigger cultural conservation,” Sean Decatur, museum president, said.

In this case, the evolution and success of hip-hop from its early days in the 1970s is the conversation. There’s a piece from DJ Kool Herc, credited with starting the genre in the Bronx. There’s also a necklace from the Notorious B.I.G., an eagle bracelet from Ghostface Killah, a Barbie pendant from Nicki Minaj, a grill set from Bad Bunny and an A$AP Rocky Lego pendant.

Pete Nice, once member of the hip-hop Group 3rd Bass, is an advisory board member for the exhibition. He is also curator at the Hip Hop Museum in the Bronx.

“There’s been cycles within hip-hop within the style of jewelry and adornment, and this kinda catches the progression of it all,” Nice said.

It’s bright, it’s brilliant, and it tells the stories of 50 years of hip-hop. "Ice Cold" will be on display through Jan. 5, 2025.