NBA players have gotten too good at basketball

Daps
Because there wasn't a single All-NBA player representing the USA at FIBA and they had no idea how to play together while international players have their own local systems they've been building together for years.

I mean, who are you even disappointed with from the FIBA tournament. Brandon Ingram? Cam Johnson? Paolo Banchero? I don't think there was a single player on the team who had a meaningful history of playoff success. The USA practically sent a U-25 squad of inexperienced, third-tier players with no real leadership or chemistry at all going against a lot of seasoned pros who had been there before.

Nah nah nah nah nah. The ludicrous argument stated in the idiotic video OP posted and the clowns in this thread are parroting is that the talent level is sOoOoO high now that MJ would be a borderline roleplayer in this age/not even top 10. Why did the coli favorite "future face of the league" Ant Edwards led team go out like bytches in FOURTH PLACE at a FIBA cup??? :jbhmm: How come "best defender in the league" JJJ, the most emblematic player of this "new wave" of centers that guard all positions while spacing the floor supposedly look like a make-a-wish kid in an international setting? :mjgrin: How come the "best PG in the league" Haliburton stuffing all the empty stats in the NBA regular season with triple doubles/double digit assists 0 turnover games every week went out with multiple triple singles shooting 2/8 from the floor against juggernauts like GERMANY once he had to play with FIBA rules and refs?? :umad:

These are the FACES of the MOST TALENTED LEAGUE EVER, where's the gold and accolades to show for all that talent that wouldn't even allow MJ himself a spot in the top 10 these days?? :patrice:Surely it amounts to more than getting sonned by RJ Barrett (a "throwback to the mid range 90s stone ages" type player no less) in the 3rd place game??? :mjlit:

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
I believe it

the current Detroit Pistons would destroy The Dream Team

gettyimages-82048612.jpg

THIS dream team?!?!? :childplease: :childplease: :childplease:

:laff::mjlol: imagine a bunch of no name scrubs defeating the best NBA players in the golden age of basketball in their height!!!!!:laff::mjlol:

FukkaPaidEmail

Hoodrat whisperer
Daps
Reppin
The Diaspora
shooting better does not equate to nba players being too good at basketball.

Overall shooting is better than any era

But what about offensive orchestration

The back to the basket game

Off-Ball movement (when a nikka that’s a good cutter pops up it looks like an alien has showed up )

Team defending

The way the game is played and officiated in the regular season leads to dumb videos like this .

jaydawg08

Superstar
Daps
The big difference isn't really with stars, but like 3-10. Role players are better than they've ever been at any point in history and that's a big thing that's opened things up

One thing that's eye opening with shooting is how three point attempts have nearly tripled over the last 30 years but the percentages have remained pretty much the same ever since 1995.
This, this this

Stars will be stars. It's "The Others" in the NBA that have turned it around, and made roster construction even more vital. Why do you think that all these "super teams" have struggled to win rings compared to in past years?

The talent level of role players has never been higher, everyone on an NBA floor feels like they can shoot the lights out of the ball. And if you're deficient in that aspect of the game, you just can't see minutes.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
So why didn't most NBA players show all that never-before-seen skill in the last FIBA world cup? Some of them looked completely lost out there the moment some actual FIBA defending happened.

This is a good watch on that subject.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
Because there wasn't a single All-NBA player representing the USA at FIBA and they had no idea how to play together while international players have their own local systems they've been building together for years.

I mean, who are you even disappointed with from the FIBA tournament. Brandon Ingram? Cam Johnson? Paolo Banchero? I don't think there was a single player on the team who had a meaningful history of playoff success. The USA practically sent a U-25 squad of inexperienced, third-tier players with no real leadership or chemistry at all going against a lot of seasoned pros who had been there before.

These other squads don’t have a single All NBA player either. You make a good point about the years of chemistry tho. Check out that video I linked earlier and let me know your thoughts. You have a good basketball mind so I’m curious if you disagree with the video

JesusFOREVER

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
My Father in Heaven
Yep, its actually ridiculous how good these dudes are man, you got guys like Tyler Herro and Alperen Sengun dropping triple doubles and they probably wont make the all star game

The Celtics have 4 all star caliber players in their starting lineup rn and no one is batting an eye, its simply ridiculous

Daps
win an era where you literally have to give the shooter space to shoot and can’t “land” within a foot of them players are scoring more? :ohhh: No way?

lib123

All Star
Daps
Today’s player are more skilled but less experienced when it comes to actually playing games. Prior generations didn’t have access to the trainers and coaching today’s players have but they grew up playing more pickup games with each other and many seemed to have a better feel for the game and could improvise better. Matt Barnes and Stephen Jackson were talking about this on their pod a while ago.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Yet..........This was an actual NBA Finals backcourt :mjlol:

gettyimages-1313155891.jpg

They would destroy the 2007 starting guard lineup of Bobbie Gibson and Sasha Pavlovic. And Strus/Vincent were 5th and 6th on the Heat in minutes for the series, while Boobie/Sasha were 2nd and 3rd.

At least the Heat had Jimmy Butler at the 3, Kyle Lowry off the bench playing more minutes than Strus, and LOST the series.

In the 1999 Finals, the starters on the perimeter for the WINNING team were a 33yo 5'10" Avery Johnson averaging 9ppg with no threes, a 35yo Mario Ellie average 11ppg shooting 30% from 3pt, and a 30yo Sean Elliott averaging 8ppg shooting 28% from 3pt. They beat a perimeter crew of Charlie Ward, Allan Houston, and Latrell Sprewell, who shot a combined 42% from the field despite only averaging 1.6 threes/game COMBINED. In fact, the entire Knicks team, considered a relatively perimeter-dominant squad, shot just 11-54 from three-point range for the series.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
What do you think about just eliminating the corner 3 altogether? Cant recall who I heard suggest this but I think it would be interesting. You would have the area above the 3 pt line that counts for 3 and the area below thats all 2s. Of course that doesn't help offenses so it would never happen.

And too dramatic a change. First just try extending out the line on the corner and see what happens. If nothing changes, you can think about doing more.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
win an era where you literally have to give the shooter space to shoot and can’t “land” within a foot of them players are scoring more? :ohhh: No way?

Until the 2000s this wouldn't have been an issue because teams hardly even guarded any 3pt shooters not named Reggie Miller. :mjlol:

Seriously, show me tape of defenders in the 80s and 90s even jumping to defend 3pt shots at any time outside the final minute of the game.

The space they had to shoot was wild. Even AFTER Jordan has committed to the shot, notice the defenders never jump and I think Uncle Cliffy was the only one who even put a hand up.