Need help deciding on Tenant applications brehs

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Posted up our starter home on Sillow and got 2 applications that are serious about renting the place. I’m stuck brehs

Applicant 1:
Veteran, guaranteed $1700 month pension on top of her wages which equal $5500 per month. Bad credit (550) with a car loan she had 12 late payments on and is still paying on it as a closed account with $6k left to pay off. Rental and criminal history are good. Black single woman

Applicant 2:
700 credit score, great payment and rental history perfect, makes $8000 per month as a software developer, female Indian and two other dudes.

If I’m making a purely financial decision then the choice is beyond obv, but I want to help look out for our own.

Thoughts & opinions?

Spence

Superstar
Daps
All 3 are Indian yes, I was of course leaning with the high income group and I guess had a moment of weakness for a very specific situation.

OfTheCross

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
Posted up our starter home on Sillow and got 2 applications that are serious about renting the place. I’m stuck brehs

Applicant 1:
Veteran, guaranteed $1700 month pension on top of her wages which equal $5500 per month. Bad credit (550) with a car loan she had 12 late payments on and is still paying on it as a closed account with $6k left to pay off. Rental and criminal history are good. Black single woman

Applicant 2:
700 credit score, great payment and rental history perfect, makes $8000 per month as a software developer, female Indian and two other dudes.

If I’m making a purely financial decision then the choice is beyond obv, but I want to help look out for our own.

Thoughts & opinions?
If the Black woman is solo i give it to her.

Single ppl tend to do less damage to the property

97Pac

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
From a purely financial perspective, the second group.

From a “cultural” perspective, I’m assuming the other 2 dudes are Indian as well, you might want to consider strong smells from cooking. If/when you sell, that’s something that could linger.
Isn't that why you take a deposit?

Bunchy Carter

I'll Take The Money Over The Honey
Daps
Reppin
Triple O.G. Bunchy Carter
I would give Applicant 1 a chance. I was in the same predicament when I was renting out my rental property. I would not choose the woman with 2 male roommates because they seems like it would turn into a messy situation, fighting/arguing, the possibility of them damaging my rental, multiple visitors and etc.

I had a Black woman like Applicant 1 and had the same type of credit and late payments, and I did some investigating and found out the reason why and I understand the late payments and the bad credit score. She even had a good rental history from other management companies, so I gave the spot to her and I also took $200 off her rent to help her pay for her outstanding balance to help build her credit and I put that into the contract, and she did utilize the $200 to pay off her outstanding balance.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
don’t like either but if you were pressed and needed to make a decision and couldn’t wait for more applicants, I’d go for the solo tenant charge a larger deposit and ask for first and last, you can ask for up to 3x one months rent for deposit here in Oakland. That way you have some coverage if she misses multiple months.

but I’d much rather have one renter or a couple as opposed to a social group of 3+, that’s gonna be more wear and tear, likely more visitors in and out of the place, definitely not trying to rent to people cooking ethnic food and that smell getting stuck (had this happen with some Koreans I rented to, they fried every fukking thing) and 8k isn’t an appealing monthly income for 3 adults (But I guess it depends on location)…wait, are the other two dudes on the application or they just applying on her one income of 8k? That’s always a no for me, one person qualifying with other adults living with them not on the lease.

i also prefer older renters who ain’t into all the social shyt and partying 20-early 30 somethings tend to do.

Last edited: