New Jersey Legislators Aim To Ban Most In-Car Subscriptions

bnew

Veteran
Daps

New Jersey officials aren’t amused by automakers’ attempts to charge for the use of pre-installed hardware in cars, such as heated seats.

BYPETER HOLDERITH
|PUBLISHED OCT 19, 2022 4:04 PM

Subscriptions for in-car services: Nobody seems to want them—besides automakers, of course. Paying a subscription for things like heated seats or remote start is something most people aren't enthusiastic about. Luckily for them, neither are lawmakers in New Jersey. Two state legislators are proposing a bill that would ban car companies from "[offering consumers] a subscription service for any motor vehicle feature" that "utilizes components and hardware already installed on the motor vehicle at the time of purchase." Yes, that would include a pre-installed heating element in a seat. In fact, that's explicitly mentioned.

The bill has one stipulation, however. The subscription would only be unlawful if there was no "ongoing expense to the dealer, manufacturer, or any third-party service provider."

In other words, if an automaker or other associated party can prove that it costs money to maintain the feature and/or service in question, then it'd be legally allowed. This would include services like OnStar and such.

The way "ongoing expense" is interpreted is going to be key here, assuming the bill makes it into law. This, obviously, is not guaranteed. In theory, a car company could claim that over-the-air updates and their associated data costs constitute an ongoing expense. That means anything to do with connected features could theoretically be charged for. Since a car needs an internet connection in order to purchase subscriptions, well, that might make this particular piece of legislation worthless. On the other hand, if the core value of the subscription is derived from the pre-installed hardware as opposed to the data connection itself, then there is probably a case to be made.

Besides heated seats, the bill also mentions "driver assistance." That could be a problem for systems like Tesla's autopilot or General Motors' Super Cruise, both of which are going to a subscription model. Both of these systems cost money to maintain, though, especially Super Cruise. The system requires enabled highways to be scanned with Lidar. Tesla's AutoPilot and "Full Self-Driving" are also actively updated and maintained, which costs money.

expanded-super-cruise-lead-A.jpg

Peter Holderith

According to the law firm BallardSpahr, "the bill would significantly impact the ability of automakers to offer consumers the choice of purchasing additional convenience features through a subscription model." Likewise, civil penalties of up to $20,000 per violation could apply. It's unclear whether that would mean per subscription or per vehicle. Per vehicle seems more likely.

Whether or not this legislation makes it into law, it's good to see people in power finally pushing back on something many consumers desperately do not want. If there's functional hardware that comes with your car, you shouldn't have to pay extra to use it.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
The shyt is stupid.
If I bought the car as is, why would I "subscribe" to features that are already in it? :gucci: I get something like GPS service or internet features, you know shyt that requires interface and upkeep OUTSIDE of the car itself, but if there's a subscription to heated seats then what's to stop a subscription to power windows or ac/heat and defrost :stopitslime:

Chrishaune

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville
The shyt is stupid.
If I bought the car as is, why would I "subscribe" to features that are already in it? :gucci: I get something like GPS service or internet features, you know shyt that requires interface and upkeep OUTSIDE of the car itself, but if there's a subscription to heated seats then what's to stop a subscription to power windows or ac/heat and defrost :stopitslime:

The endgame of these companies. They put the features in the car, but you have to pay subscription to use them. And they'll throw in replacement of parts for free even though the parts won't need replacing. Oh these are scammers.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
The endgame of these companies. They put the features in the car, but you have to pay subscription to use them. And they'll throw in replacement of parts for free even though the parts won't need replacing. Oh these are scammers.
I think Mercedes started that it, I hope their sales on cars with "subscriptions" are tanking as a result.
New Jersey is only one state, it's on the market to tell these fools to go to hell/act right :ufdup:

Reflected

Living in fear in the year of the tiger.
Daps
The shyt is stupid.
:mjlol: It's beyond absurd on a vehicle because the features are already physically present, at least with that kind of content for games, you have to download something, but that's all digital in the end.

Buyers need to learn from all the dumb gamers, if you don't push back on this, it will grow and become worse.