New Masta Ace/Evidence producer by Premo “Eat”

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
Late 1993. Saturday night after midnight. My second time smoking weed and I'm in outer space. The OG who got me high walks me into the pool hall run by local drug dealers called "The Players Club" right across the street from my grandmothers building(the same block Azie had The Jukebox). As soon as I walk in "Ill Street Blues" is playing loud on the speakers. But it wasnt just the song...Some DJ was cuttting it up and bringing it back so the song was playing longer then its normal time.The scenery and that specific song playing as I walked in was surreal. A small pool room occupied by neighborhood hooligans. Every few minutes or so someone would come in and go into the back...for what? U already know. I'm, high as hell watching the action while the OG starts playing a round of pool. The song eventually changes but I'll never forget how "Gangster" Ill Street Blues sounded walking into that pool hall.

Now with that said...I'd be lying if I didnt acknowledge cars and radio was bumping "Saturday Night Live" around this same time....But go back and listen to that song and "Ill Street Blues" and there is no denying G Rap is lyrically superior and has more memerable quotables and he didnt need guest appearances.

lol.. I know Ill Street Blues bro.. When I said go back to listen, Im talking bout all the other songs that were on albums besides singles

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
we talking artistry or popularity contests?

All of the above.

G Raps 2nd album so influential CB4 jacked one of the songs and made a parody out of it.

G Raps 2nd album was so influential. Nore redid one of the songs.

Nasir The God Son

SOHH Stupid
Daps
Repped. All of that is true but I understand why some people make a separation. I had that conversation with Ev and even he thinks he transformed entirely as an emcee.

After Wearherman and Layover I went back to the older Dilated albums and appreciated him a lot more, and a lot of his old stuff I didn’t like I like a lot now.

But even though your post is 100% correct, if someone asked you for a list of 10 songs to get into Ev, I bet a good 6-7 would be from his solo projects. I have a couple Dilated joints and a Step Bros joint in mind but the rest would be songs from his weather series.

He’s not interested in making another Dilated album FWIW.

:ehh: Who are you breh? How do you know Ev?

Alexander Wiggin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Paris Saint-Germain
You're not a hip hop fan. :camby:

G Rap got a trilogy. For you to imply that any of these albums are "shytty" automatically tells me u aren't ahip hop fan.

220px-Kool_G_Rap_Wanted.jpg

71dDY-Ewn7L._SY355_.jpg

And the magnum opus. Masta Ace was being outdone by G Rap to the point he had to get on some west coast shyt for attention on Slaughterhouse while G Rap get it NYC gritty.

hqdefault.jpg

I love this album

R-629806-1253988116.jpeg.jpg

:blessed:

:feedme:

:ohlawd:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
:ehh: Who are you breh? How do you know Ev?
I used to work with Justus League/Hall of Justus back in the day.

In 2008 Ev was recording some joints with Khrysis for The Layover and for some Away Team projects. (Edit: Away Team was the duo of Khrysis and Sean Boog).

I went to the studio like any other day and didn't even recognize Ev at first. Typically I don't try to bug people in sessions but they were taking a break and I just chopped it up with him for a few minutes. During the conversation it just came up that we both have the same birthday and both do brazilian jiu-jitsu. Cool dude but we only talked for maybe 10-15 mins,

A couple months later Khrysis had the entire Layover album on a burned CD ahead of time (he produced the first 2 tracks) and played it as we drove around. I liked all 9 for 9 of the songs. I had copped The Weatherman LP the previous year, but mostly for the production and the features. So after I heard Layover I went back and listened to Weatherman again, and it grew on me. Since then I've been a pretty big Ev fan.

Layover is the project that really sold me on him and then I went back and did the homework.