New York woman, 33, is arrested after letting her 10-year-old son get a tattoo of his name 'in full-size block letters' on his forearm in motel they lived in
A New York woman has been arrested after allowing her 10-year-old son to get a large tattoo of his name in block letters across his forearm, police said.
- Crystal Thomas, 33, allowed her 10-year-old son to get a tattoo on his arm
- The boy went to a school nurse to have Vaseline applied to the tattoo, police said
- The tattoo was done by a man staying in the same motel as Thomas and her child
- The boy and his older sibling were taken in by Child Protective Services
Crystal Thomas, 33, was arrested for endangering the welfare of a child and released on an appearance ticket.
The boy was staying in a motel with his mother and older sibling when he learned that a man in neighboring room could give him a tattoo.
His mother allowed him to go next door and get the tattoo and did not supervise him, police said.
The tattoo was identified by the school nurse after the 10-year-old boy went to them to have Vaseline applied over it.
The tattoo was performed in a room in a motel in which Thomas was staying with her two children, understands Lloyd Police Chief James Janso based on interviews his department carried with Thomas and her son.
- Crystal Thomas, 33, was arrested this month for allowing her son to get a 'six to eight inch' tattoo across his inner forearm
Thomas and her two children had been staying in the Highland Motel in Highland, near Poughkeepsie, for several weeks before her arrest this month.
A 'gentleman in the room next to them' was performing tattoos and the 10-year-old boy expressed an interest in getting one, Janso told DailyMail.com.
'She wasn't in the room with him,' he added.
'It's not a professional job,' said Janso of the tattoo which is on the 10-year-old's inner forearm and is 'around six to eight inches in length'.
Lloyd Police became aware of the tattoo after the boy visited his school nurse to request Vaseline to apply to the new tattoo.
- The Highland Motel in Highland, between New York City and Albany, in which Crystal was staying for several weeks with her children and where the tattoo was done, police said
The school nurse reported the tattoo to the school resource officer who in turn contacted the police.
The Lloyd Police Department are in the process of trying to locate the man that performed the tattoo and according to Janso his investigators have leads.
The suspect is no longer at the motel, which is generally only host to people for 'transient stays', Janso said.
It is currently unclear what sort of relationship Thomas had with the tattooist, Janso said.
Thomas’s son and his sibling were taken in by child protective services.
- Thomas had been staying in the motel for several weeks before she allowed her son to get the tattoo
Although she has been released from police custody it is not known whether she has custody of the children again.