Nigel McGuinness vs Bryan Danielson Saga [Video Essay]

Kidd Dibiase

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Today's fans would not go for one person taking all those L's in a row regardless of how good the opponent is or how good the matches were.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
The Unified, Driven and 6th Anniversary matches are masterpieces :wow:

Today's fans would not go for one person taking all those L's in a row regardless of how good the opponent is or how good the matches were.

Mid 00's fans were just as annoying with Win/Loss records and people getting beat. Bryan vs Nigel worked because it was on a smark promotion were the initial winner was a dude that could do no wrong for 95% of those fans and they were more than OK with him keeping the belt. And ROH fans had already been educated with long streaks with Joe's reign.

I think wrestling fans in general are fine with one wrestler taking a bunch of Ls as long as the payoff is worth it. New Japan is a clear example of that. And in that case it was about fans creating their own narrative to make lazy booking work in their minds :dead:

Beautiful Bobby Eatin

SWEEEEEEEEEETNESS!
Daps
Reppin
Terra Belle, Georgia
The Unified, Driven and 6th Anniversary matches are masterpieces :wow:

Mid 00's fans were just as annoying with Win/Loss records and people getting beat. Bryan vs Nigel worked because it was on a smark promotion were the initial winner was a dude that could do no wrong for 95% of those fans and they were more than OK with him keeping the belt. And ROH fans had already been educated with long streaks with Joe's reign.

I think wrestling fans in general are fine with one wrestler taking a bunch of Ls as long as the payoff is worth it. New Japan is a clear example of that. And in that case it was about fans creating their own narrative to make lazy booking work in their minds :dead:
From what I remember the ROHbots were getting annoyed at Nigel going lariat happy in his matches (i didnt mind it really).

My favorite build up was the CZW feud leading to Danielson becoming the defacto hero appointed by Jim Cornette who was feuding with Homicide because he was a thug. Danielson turned on ROH leaving Cornette reluctantly turning to Homicide to be the hero and save ROH from CZW.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
From what I remember the ROHbots were getting annoyed at Nigel going lariat happy in his matches (i didnt mind it really).

I was talking about the first part of the feud were Nigel couldn't beat Danielson and most fans were ok with it.

I think you are talking about when Nigel was champ and he couldn't get healthy for like a 3-4 month period so those fans started to complain about him. Once he was 100% they were right back with him, including the series with Bryan were Nigel finally started to get Ws.

Last edited: