Nigerian startup to add African DNA to research as it builds world’s first pan-African biobank

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
MILDRED EUROPA TAYLOR | Staff Writer

gene.jpg

Africans are more genetically diverse than all other populations combined, however, African DNA makes up less than 2% of genetic research material.

54gene, a Nigerian-led startup which wants to reverse this, has raised $4.5 million in seed funding from large investment groups, including Y Combinator. As part of measures to boost access to African DNA for research purposes, the startup has already started building the world’s first and largest pan-African biobank.

“A biobank is a repository where DNA samples are kept for research purposes, and no such thing exists for Africa at present, so a biobank is necessary for our continent. Africans and people of African ancestry are more genetically diverse than all other world populations combined. We have the technology to record this rich data set and to use it as the foundation for medical discoveries,” the founder of the company, Dr Abasi Ene-Obong told Business Insider.

Africans are more genetically diverse than all other populations combined, however, African DNA makes up less than 2% of genetic research material.

54gene, a Nigerian-led startup which wants to reverse this, has raised $4.5 million in seed funding from large investment groups, including Y Combinator. As part of measures to boost access to African DNA for research purposes, the startup has already started building the world’s first and largest pan-African biobank.

“A biobank is a repository where DNA samples are kept for research purposes, and no such thing exists for Africa at present, so a biobank is necessary for our continent. Africans and people of African ancestry are more genetically diverse than all other world populations combined. We have the technology to record this rich data set and to use it as the foundation for medical discoveries,” the founder of the company, Dr Abasi Ene-Obong told Business Insider.

Support Pan-African JournalismSUBSCRIBE

MORE ABOUT THIS
At the moment, nearly 90% of genetic material used in pharmaceutical research is Caucasian. Africa has, till date, been left out of global genomics research and innovation.

Although the African populace harbours the most varied genetic profile on earth, its potential has been greatly overlooked, the company, which was set up this year, with bases in Nigeria and the U.S., said.

“In an age where the development of drugs is becoming more personalised, I asked myself how could researchers even begin to introduce effective drugs into the market if there are no African DNA data sets to work with. They can’t, which means that a whole continent, and its Diaspora, is going to miss out on health and drug innovation; that’s more than a billion people. 54gene was launched to address this issue, head-on,” Ene-Obong said.

His company currently intends to use the African DNA to create more effective drugs, fight diabetes, sickle cell, and other diseases that affect most Africans.

The company is also hoping to add 40,000 DNA samples this year as it builds the world’s first African DNA biobank. It is working closely with research institutions on the continent, pharmaceutical companies, technology partners and healthcare regulators, to achieve this.

“We are committed to curating one of the most interesting genomic and phenotypic datasets in the world that will power the development of new drugs that benefit people of all races,” Ene-Obong said.

The global pharmaceutical industry is expected to reach $1.34 trillion by 2020. 54gene will focus on Africa and the African Diaspora, charting new territory for the global pharma industry, the company said.

Nigerian startup to add African DNA to research as it builds world’s first pan-African biobank - Face2Face Africa

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
I would love to get a test to see where my ancestors came from. It’s pretty fukked up that a lot of AAs don’t know our own heritage

Hell, even Africans kinda have this issue especially ones that are born outside of the continent. Sometimes Africans are mixed with many tribes so tracing back into the past can be difficult if family ties ain’t been kept.

This some important shyt tho. Would go a very long way in filling in the blanks for the diaspora and continent. Imagine someone in Alabama finding relatives in Costa Rica, Jamaica, and Ghana through this? shyt would be amazing.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
I would like to see DNA testing advance further than this or AA has done so far. I feel like the white ones have advanced for their people. I want to see what's it like for from a true ancestral measure.

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
this is important.... the database for whites on 23 and Me is like 14K and for Blacks it was 323...