Nikki D: 'THE FEMALE GENRE OF HIP HOP TODAY IS THE ‘PROSTITUTION ERA'’

LevelUp

🧞🪔 𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙂𝙚𝙣𝙞𝙚 𝙤𝙛 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙇𝙖𝙢𝙥 🧞🪔
Daps
Hip-Hop veteran Nikki D recently sparked a lot of conversation when she commented on Ice Spice's performance at Power 105’s Powerhouse concert this past weekend. Ice Spice was wearing a very short red Betty Boop costume, and seemed uncomfortable, as she kept pulling at it when it exposed her backside as she performed.

Nikki posted a clip of the performance and captioned it with her thoughts on the state of women in Hip-Hop these days, as Hip-Hop Wired points out.

“Oh come TF on!!! You mean to tell me, this is true talent... the Female genre of hip hop today is the ‘prostitution era’, fight me!!" Nikki, who was the first female rap artist signed to Def Jam in 1989, captioned the clip. "Notice the ONLY 2x’s the crowd reacts... during the familiar ‘munch line’ and when she turns around to show her ass!! She’s one of the top female rappers out at the ‘moment’... where’s her show production, rehearsal, and for god's sake PLEASE STOP singing over those studio vocals; it’s not a live show at that point."

Nikki then said Ice Spice's management should call her. "This girl got 5 minutes left, and y’all gonna blow it!!!”

Her comments sparked significant discussion, especially since just one sub-genre seems to represent women in rap as of late. Nikki followed up the post with another, citing HipHopDX's coverage of her comments.

"To be clear, I’m addressing the business on a whole; this Ice Spice performance caught my attention," she said. That too, elicited a lot of responses, including from The Lady of Rage who posted a meme of Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men, shouting "You can't handle the truth!"

Check out Nikki's post and the discussion it sparked here.

NoirDynosaur

Yurrrrrrrrrr
Daps
Reppin
Planet Earth
Female rappers nowadays lack substance they're copies of copies rapping about the same subject. The ones that do stand out is Che Noir, Jean Grae, etc.

What Nicky D is forgetting that Ice Spice isn't the first to birth thot rap. We can pull the receipts of Trina, Khia, Lil Kim

To balance it out, we also had Lauryn Hill, Da Brat, Queen Pen, Queen Latifah, Lady of Rage, La Chat, Gangsta Boo (RIP), Left Eye (RIP). The 90's was more versatile.

As a veteran rapper, best thing she can do is give tips how to step their bars up instead of relying on their looks.

High Art

👑King of The Salon👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Your favorite poster's favorite poster.
She's right but it is what it is. I don't pay attention to many rappers let alone female rappers these days outside of these threads and that is more out of morbid curiosity than anything else. :manny:

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Case and point, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill came out in 1998, arguably one of the best female rap records and widely considered a classic. Today's crop of female rappers will not know what having a classic album or even song is.

L@CaT

For Hire Gunslinger!
Daps
I can't stand Doja Personality but but she definitely puts on a show with rapping, singing and dancing.

Phantum

The Charisma of the Streets
Daps
Sex worker rap. It all started when rappers started making music catered to strip clubs. It was only a matter of time before the dancers wanted to get on the mic