NYC Council Passes Bill Adding 10% Surcharge on Diners’ Check

Ahadi

Veteran
Daps
NYC Council Passes Bill Adding 10% Surcharge on Diners’ Check to Help Out Restaurants – NBC New York
Published September 16, 2020
NBC Universal, Inc.
A 10% surcharge could be added to your bill if you dine out at New York City restaurants.

When New York City reopens indoor dining in two weeks, diners may have to spend a little bit more to enjoy the limited service.

The NYC Council approved legislation Wednesday that would add up to a 10 percent “COVID-19 Recovery Charge" on a customer’s total bill. Councilman Joseph C. Borelli, who introduced the bill, says city restaurants have significantly suffered from the coronavirus pandemic and they need additional help to get their businesses back on track.

"This cost will come off 90 days after the restaurant capacity limits have ended, whereas if they raise the price of their meals, there's no telling whether or not they will keep the price up," Borelli said. "We need those businesses to stay in business. If they are not in business, those hundreds of thousands of people will not have jobs."

The Staten Island Republican said he believes the extra money could be a lifeline used to support restaurant staff through the pandemic.

"Use it to add a surcharge for their kitchen staff, to add a surcharge for health care premiums or paid sick leave funds for their employees," Borelli suggested.

According to the legislation, only small restaurants can apply the surcharge, which has to be clearly stated on the diner's bill. Pushcarts, stands, vehicles, or large chains aren't included in the bill.

While the surcharge would end 90 days after full indoor dining is resumed in the city, there's no timeline on when that will be. NYC restaurants will be limited to only 25 percent capacity when they're allowed to reopen on Sept. 30.

New York City restaurants will be allowed to resume indoor dining on Sept. 30 with an extensive set of rules, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Wednesday. NBC New York's Adam Harding reports.

In a statement, a worker rights group opposed the bill, saying that the proposed surcharge without guarantees of a minimum wage for employees could hurt workers.

“If the City Council allows employers to add a surcharge, without these employers paying their workers a full minimum wage, the surcharge would cut into workers’ already-reduced customer tips without any guarantee of tipped restaurant workers receiving the bare minimum wage," One Fair Wage President Saru Jayaraman said.

Brooklyn Bar Sues Gov. Cuomo Over Imposed Midnight Curfew
Even some restaurant owners are questioning whether charging customers more to eat out — which some are hesitant to do anyway — will really help them recover.

"I think they are chasing people away from restaurants, instead of enticing them and pulling them into restaurants to try and create more business," said Scott Giunta, owner of Arturo's Restaurant in Greenwich Village. "(Customers) are not taking their alcohol, they are not taking they dessert. They are just gonna take the basics and go home."

Carol Giunta, manager of the restaurant, said the bill could work against servers, as waitstaff could potentially see their tips decrease on a smaller dinner bill.

"Perhaps customers will think, 'They are getting 10 percent, that's part of the waiter's service tip," she said.

Still some see the potential benefits.

"I'm not sure if it will help, but I think it's a step in the right direction, because without the funding they could go out of business long-term," said Spencer Kosterinsky, a customer at the restaurant. "As long as I knew about it beforehand. If I saw it after the fact without knowing about it, then it would make me a little upset."

Absolut

Legal Bookie
Daps
Reppin
Las Vegas
Dumb. It ain’t keeping anyone in business. Restaurants have a very high percentage of joints that can’t tread water in normal times. Little arbitrary surcharges for a couple months ain’t changing shyt. Half the restaurants that are closing now would have closed within a year anyways, just because it’s razor thin margins in that industry and only so much business to go around. Folks will absolutely end up tipping less when they go out, and the restaurant owners won’t be funneling that money to any of the things they talk about. Kitchen staff and health care? :dead: the restaurant owner will pay his rent with it

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
I live in ny...and through all of this I’ve gotten used to not dining out anymore...now I definitely won’t be :manny:

A lot of the restaurants that I was dining takeout with, had already jumped their prices...this is just adding more taxes without any assurances

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
Service charge is standard practice in the U.K. and Europe and additional tipping is considered optional. Honestly, it makes dining out a lot less headache when you know everything is included in your bill and you reserve tipping for exceptional service.

ThaBronxBully

Postin’ & Toastin’ Since 02’
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Service charge is standard practice in the U.K. and Europe and additional tipping is considered optional. Honestly, it makes dining out a lot less headache when you know everything is included in your bill and you reserve tipping for exceptional service.

This Sounds Like It’s Not Replacing Tipping Though

If They Expect A 10% Service Charge AND A 15-20% Tips They Can Kick Rocks, This Will Only Hurt The Waiters/Waitresses

I’ll Take A 10% Service Charge Over Tipping But You Ain’t Getting BOTH Out Of Me

They’re Trying To UberEats Us

Adeptus Astartes

Loyal servant of the God-Brehmperor
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Imperium of Man
Its really an American thing. I do it reflexively. When I was in the UK, the bartenders looked at me weird when I left money on the bar.:russ:

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
This Sounds Like It’s Not Replacing Tipping Though

If They Expect A 10% Service Charge AND A 15-20% Tips They Can Kick Rocks, This Will Only Hurt The Waiters/Waitresses

I’ll Take A 10% Service Charge Over Tipping But You Ain’t Getting BOTH Out Of Me

They’re Trying To UberEats Us

If they’re really expecting everyone to pay an additional 10% on top of a standard tip, there are going to be a lot of pissed off waiters. They can’t encourage people to eat out and then make them take a 25-30% hit on top of whatever they ordered :snoop:

Its really an American thing. I do it reflexively. When I was in the UK, the bartenders looked at me weird when I left money on the bar.:russ:

Depending on where you are, someone might run you down to give you your money back :heh:

I can count on one hand how many times I’ve seen a tip jar in a bar/pub over here. They usually just price everything at a premium to cover staff wages.

SNYC

Black American in NYC (yes, we exist 😲)
Daps
Reppin
BK & BX
It's a new world folks, get used to it.....

pixlr-20200916191920436.jpg

But if it's a spontaneous after work thing with her, then i guess y'all..

:francis: