Olympic Gold medalist Gabby Douglas is making a comeback / *injury derails plans

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Paris 2024

Gabby Douglas returns to competitive gymnastics and qualifies for U.S. Championships​

The 2012 Olympic all-around champion competed Saturday for the first time in nearly eight years.

1714346373343_nn_hja_gabby_douglas_return_to_gymnastics_240428_1920x1080-slzrxn.jpg

April 27, 2024
Gabby Douglas’ last gymnastics competition was eight years ago at the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, where her team clinched the gold medal.
On Saturday, the three-time gold medalist staged a comeback at the American Classic in Katy, Texas, and successfully qualified to compete at the U.S. Championships, putting her on a path to compete at the Olympic Games in Paris this summer.

She finished 10th in the all-around, but her scores on the vault and the balance beam qualified Douglas to compete in the two events at the U.S. Championships. To compete in all four events at nationals, which will be held from May 30 to June 2 in Fort Worth, Texas, Douglas will have to file a petition.
Gabby Douglas
Gabby Douglas at the American Classic in Katy, Texas, on Saturday.

Jade Carey, who is the reigning Olympic gold medalist in the floor exercise, won the all-around competition.
While the American Classic has little to no direct impact on Douglas’ chances of making the Paris team, her performance Saturday was a crucial stepping stone and offered a glimpse at her training progress during this comeback.

Last edited:
Daps
I'm legit excited about the Olympics this year. I went in on Shacarri 3 years ago but baby girl put her head down, and focused and put in some serious work. Imma be rooting for her and everybody that's black :wow:

Worthless Loser

Blackpilled
Daps
Good for her, but her time is up. 8 years is too long and there are better performers on Team USA. Her best chance at a medal is if she makes Team USA and they get a team medal. I guess this is more like a retirement tour for her.

Daps
Good for her, but her time is up. 8 years is too long and there are better performers on Team USA. Her best chance at a medal is if she makes Team USA and they get a team medal. I guess this is more like a retirement tour for her.

Is Simone competing this year? If not, it might be wide open for Gabby.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Yeah she is. She beat Gabby in 2016. Plus that Asian Chick who is the defending Olympic champion and won when Simone withdrew, Suni Lee will likely be in. She is 7 years younger than Gabby.
I don’t think you can look at gymnastic like other major sports like basketball or Football when it comes to age.

Not sure if age is going to be as big of a factor like that.. especially over experience.

Worthless Loser

Blackpilled
Daps
I don’t think you can look at gymnastic like other major sports like basketball or Football when it comes to age.

Not sure if age is going to be as big of a factor like that.. especially over experience.
In Gymnastics you're pretty much done after like 24 or 25 years old. They start out at 14, 15 years old. Most of the recent Olympic Champions were teenagers or at the oldest, early 20's.

Simone is 27 but her body is so small so she can still compete at prime levels. When Gabby won the Olympic Gold Medal in 2012, she was 16 years old. Now she's 28.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
No it's actually even more meaningful, past 22/23 is :flabbynsick:
Agree to disagree then.

Body has healed and has had all the time in the world to train.
In Gymnastics you're pretty much done after like 24 or 25 years old. They start out at 14, 15 years old. Most of the recent Olympic Champions were teenagers or at the oldest, early 20's.

Simone is 27 but her body is so small so she can still compete at prime levels. When Gabby won the Olympic Gold Medal in 2012, she was 16 years old. Now she's 28.
My female family members were gymnasts and were still in great shape without even doing shyt for years

And no, most start younger than 14 or 15..

My thing is, most champions aren’t trying to come back at after winning. If she has put in the work she will do fine.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Paris 2024

Gabby Douglas ends Paris Olympics run and withdraws from U.S. Championships​

The 2012 Olympic all-around gold medalist will not compete in Paris this summer due to an ankle injury.
Gabby Douglas.

May 29, 2024
Olympic all-around champion Gabby Douglas has withdrawn from this weekend’s U.S. Championships, ending her bid for the Paris Olympic team, a representative for Douglas confirmed to NBC News.
Douglas cited an ankle injury sustained during training this week.

“I love this sport and I love pushing my limits,” Douglas told ESPN. “I hope I can inspire both my peers and the next generation of gymnasts that age is just a number and you can accomplish anything you work hard for.”
She said she intends to continue training in preparation for the 2028 Olympics in Los Angeles.

*Never knew she was from Newport News/Hampton area. She would have been winning Gold when Vick was in the NFL, and Iverson was finishing out his career. 3 all-time elite athletes from the same place. And active at the same time. They need to bottle and sell that local water.

MustafaSTL

Achievement In Every Field of Human Endeavor
Daps
Agree to disagree then.

Body has healed and has had all the time in the world to train.

My female family members were gymnasts and were still in great shape without even doing shyt for years

And no, most start younger than 14 or 15..

My thing is, most champions aren’t trying to come back at after winning. If she has put in the work she will do fine.
Nah competing on the international Olympics level, in gymnastics, they age out faster than damn near any sport. Simone is the very rare exception.