One Thing That's Been Bugging Me About The WWE Network

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Why do they use the "Rockhouse" theme for the NWO but they won't use "Voodoo Chile"? I figure "Rockhouse" would be just as expensive to license since there both done by Hendrix.

Beautiful Bobby Eatin

SWEEEEEEEEEETNESS!
Daps
Reppin
Terra Belle, Georgia
Why do they use the "Rockhouse" theme for the NWO but they won't use "Voodoo Chile"? I figure "Rockhouse" would be just as expensive to license since there both done by Hendrix.
Rockhouse is only a sample during the interlude where Voodoo Chile is an entire song. Theres less red tape around getting a sample cleared than an entire song.

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
might just be easier to clear. there has to be a good reason. the network is pretty much trash because of music licensing alone.
:ufdup:The network isn't trash, but it is jarring when people like DDP come out to dubbed music and 2000 Taker coming out to his Big Evil theme. The show that suffers the most is ECW since all their themes were from rock bands.

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
When you hear of Rockhouse: You think NWO.
When you hear of Voodoo Child: You think of Hendrix; Remembering movies it was in; and to wrestling fans, Hollywood Hogan.

So even to non-wrestling fans, Voodoo Child is just KNOWN. Plus Bischoff had to pay $100k and ask Hendrix's sister according to him. It is said, now, that in order to license one of the Top 100 songs of all time, your asking to put down $5-10 Million for it.

WWE may be a corporation, but it just makes no sense to license a single song unless it's for WrestleMania.

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
When you hear of Rockhouse: You think NWO.
When you hear of Voodoo Child: You think of Hendrix; Remembering movies it was in; and to wrestling fans, Hollywood Hogan.

So even to non-wrestling fans, Voodoo Child is just KNOWN. Plus Bischoff had to pay $100k and ask Hendrix's sister according to him. It is said, now, that in order to license one of the Top 100 songs of all time, your asking to put down $5-10 Million for it.

WWE may be a corporation, but it just makes no sense to license a single song unless it's for WrestleMania.
Do they have to pay 5-10mil each time they use it? if so then I understand but if that's a flat fee then they should pay it since they're rolling in money right now.

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
Do they have to pay 5-10mil each time they use it? if so then I understand but if that's a flat fee then they should pay it since they're rolling in money right now.
No. They would have contracts for a few months, probably 3/6/12. Though I am not behind the scenes in music licensing, I am going off of some of stuff I seen in Marketing.

Like right now, if you want THE ROCK as a spokesperson, he would be considered a Top 3 talent because of his Q Score (which is his overall celebrity visibility score).

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
No. They would have contracts for a few months, probably 3/6/12. Though I am not behind the scenes in music licensing, I am going off of some of stuff I seen in Marketing.

Like right now, if you want THE ROCK as a spokesperson, he would be considered a Top 3 talent because of his Q Score (which is his overall celebrity visibility score).
So basically while it's cool to have a theme song that's an actual song it's better to just keep it in house, and this is why Jim Johnston was so valuable. It's a great feeling knowing that you don't have to worry about "Glass Shatters" being dubbed over.

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
So basically while it's cool to have a theme song that's an actual song it's better to just keep it in house, and this is why Jim Johnston was so valuable. It's a great feeling knowing that you don't have to worry about "Glass Shatters" being dubbed over.

Pretty much. Plus, some of the arenas for sporting events uses some of WWE's music. Now I don't know if WWE owns the copyrights for them, but that would provide some profit to WWE because areana are paying them for samples.

Tj Bronson

Average Carpentry Skills
Supporter
Daps
Here's a cool little breakdown of how Rockhouse came together...