Pacific Coast Hwy vs. Nature: Mud Slide Dumps 1.5 mil tons of Earth, Changes The Map

Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC

Geologists and engineers crowded a conference room in San Luis Obispo on Wednesday to address the latest assault upon California’s most revered roadway.

Yet another stretch of Highway 1, that improbable serpentine hemming the continent’s western edge, had abruptly disappeared.

No one in the room was shocked or surprised. The scientists and builders knew what they were up against.

A week earlier, sensors in the mountains had picked up increased ground movement at a site 10 miles north of Ragged Point. On-site crews and equipment were evacuated, gates closed and locked.

On Saturday at 9:30 a.m., a hillside near a small ravine known as Mud Creek collapsed, sloughing an estimated 1.5 million tons of rock and mud over the highway and into the ocean.

The landslide was a third of a mile wide and 40 feet at its deepest. What once was a steep drop into the Pacific was now a broad, sloping bench extending almost 250 feet beyond the shoreline. By some estimates, the collapse had added 15 acres to the coast, a little more than 11 football fields including the end zones.

And the worst might not be over, said field inspectors who had just returned from the slide. Listen closely, and you’ll hear a sound of water running like rain through the rocks and dirt. The slide at Mud Creek is still moving.

“This is a big one,” said Rick Silva, a Caltrans engineer who had phoned in for the meeting. “It might be a once-in-a-career slide.”

But Silva and the gathered geologists and engineers were unfazed.

Their worst-case scenario had always been the 1983 slide that buried Highway 1 near Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park for 14 months with 4 million cubic yards of rocks and dirt.

This one might pose even bigger problems, but now they’re more familiar with these notoriously temperamental mountains. And they’re confident they will once again succeed in carving a new route through the rubble, opening the coast for businesses, residents and the million annual tourists drawn to its hairpins and panoramas with a bucket-list fervor.

It will take time though.

The PCH in Malibu has small mudslides all the time. Last rain storm I drove through had small rocks all over the road. I always wonder when the big one is gonna come...it's a beautiful road, probably the most picturesque in the US, but I dunno if man is supposed develop every piece of land they see fit.

Last edited:

The Collector

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
I Rep That West
Glad I got to drive the PCH before Mother Nature said nahh. I did Hermosa Beach up to San Fran on the PCH and it was an amazing drive.
I never knew how far HWY 1/101 went. :wow:

It would be awesome to drive it. Looks like it's out of the question now. :mjcry: