Pasadena Releases Footage of Police Breaking Man's Leg During Arrest

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB

Pasadena officials on Friday released body and dashboard camera footage captured during the November arrest of a man whose leg was broken by officers.

City Manager Steve Mermell promised to release videos of the Nov. 9 incident earlier this week after a video of the arrested man being knocked to the ground and repeatedly struck by officersemerged on Facebook.

Pasadena police arrested Chris Ballew, 21, of Altadena on suspicion of assault on a peace officer following a traffic stop.

The videos released by the city show Ballew walking toward the store at the Mobil gas station at Fair Oaks Avenue and Woodbury Road at about 7:49 p.m. Two officers exit the vehicle and attempt to make contact with him.

One officer walks him back to his vehicle, a white Mercedes sedan, holding Ballew by his arm, the videos show.

Ballew says something unintelligible — the officer says later that Ballew claimed he was not driving the car. The officer responds, “I just saw you get out of the car.”

“Yeah, get out of here, dude,” the second officer says.

The two then attempt to restrain Ballew against the Mercedes when a struggle ensues. The officers bring him to the ground next to the vehicle.

Ballew repeatedly asks, “where is your commanding officer,” as the second officer cuffs his left hand. The officer tries to wrestle his right hand into the cuffs, but Ballew breaks away.

The videos then show a brief tug of war between Ballew and one of the officers over a baton. The officer then recovers the baton and uses it to him Ballew in the back and in the leg, while a second officer throws several punches at the man while he’s on the ground.

Following the arrest, police took Ballew to the hospital. Pasadena city spokesman William Boyer said Ballew suffered a fractured fibula. He was later taken to the Inmate Reception Center, where he was held on $50,000 bail. He was released on bond the next day.

The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office declined to file charges against Ballew. A use-of-force investigation is ongoing to determine whether officers acted appropriately.

This is the first time the Pasadena Police Department has released body camera footage since the city began the program in November 2016, according to Boyer.

Pasadena police release body cam footage of scuffle that left man with broken leg – Pasadena Star News

eXodus

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I can’t even watch this shyt, it’s gonna piss me the fukk off smh

Wildin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Those officers definitely weren't having it that night. I don't see why breh didn't just chill , show id or whatever, get their names and badges and deal with that shyt the next day. Dude was innocent and could have went home with no problem.

It's not even worth arguing with them unless you're prepared to kill them because they won't hesitate to kill you. You're not going to say something to make them go ":ohhh:ok, you're right, I'm sorry for the inconvenience" and walk away.

Slimkid07

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Those officers definitely weren't having it that night. I don't see why breh didn't just chill , show id or whatever, get their names and badges and deal with that shyt the next day. Dude was innocent and could have went home with no problem.

It's not even worth arguing with them unless you're prepared to kill them because they won't hesitate to kill you. You're not going to say something to make them go ":ohhh:ok, you're right, I'm sorry for the inconvenience" and walk away.
I don't know where you're from :jbhmm:but when you live in an area where you get this type of treatment constantly, sometimes you get fed up.
More times than not, if you deal with this type of static from law enforcement in your area everyday, there are just going to be times when you're like "wait a minute, I have fukking rights"

Having a light shined in your face for doing nothing, being pulled over for absolutely nothing, being asked questions like "where are you going/doing?" gets old.

Also, following instructions to a T, being polite (so you can go home) sometimes isn't enough for these officers.
If you're a cat with a little education about your rights as an American citizen and have experienced and seen how officers act with other communities compared to yours,
you might get a little smart with the mouth with these fukkers. :ufdup: Slimkid07

FSP

Banned
Daps

Nah nikkas need to stop backing down because police have to follow the law too...in fact they are supposed to be held to a higher standard but because of lack of education and nikkas fearing for their life instead of standing up you got clowns like these running around abusing power, leaving communities fractured, and going home at the end of the day like job well done

I guess people don’t understand the police be thuggin out here. They ain’t your parents

Wildin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
sometimes you get fed up.

there are just going to be times when you're like "wait a minute, I have fukking rights"

Having a light shined in your face for doing nothing, being pulled over for absolutely nothing, being asked questions like "where are you going/doing?" gets old.

Also, following instructions to a T, being polite (so you can go home) sometimes isn't enough for these officers.

If you're a cat with a little education about your rights as an American citizen and have experienced and seen how officers act with other communities compared to yours,
you might get a little smart with the mouth with these fukkers. :ufdup: Slimkid07

Yea you're going to get fed up.
Yea you do have rights.
Yea it does get old.
Being polite doesn't always work and getting smart NEVER works.

Remember these nikkas are getting paid. You're not wasting their time. You're the one that's trying to go to work, or just go home. They're fukking your shyt up, not the other way around.

I've never been "conveniently" stopped aka I didn't have shyt else to do.

Like I said. Just give them your id or whatever, get their badge number and name and if they give you a ticket just take it. Take your ass home or to work or if you ain't got shyt else to do and you want to argue drive to the police station.

You're not going to out wrestle a cop and him be like ":whoa: you got the best of me, just go on home sir."

You're not going to saying something "smart" or convincing that's going to make an officer say ":ohhh: ok, you're right, I'm sorry for the inconvenience" and walk away.

The time to contest a ticket or a stop, isn't on the side of the road, or in the middle of a store or outside a store.

Be smart about it, go home call that nikkas boss. Make a formal complaint, get the time and date, get something signed showing you filed a complaint and if your really upset call up a lawyer.

You can't argue with fool's. Especially fools with guns in a system designed to protect them. Keep fukking around and arguing with these fools and you'll end up accidently killed on some "I was reaching for my cuffs and by muscle memory I pulled my gun and shot him twice" type shyt.

Nah nikkas need to stop backing down because police have to follow the law too

Being able to go home ain't backing down. Not having to go to the hospital ain't backing down. Theres a time and place to deal with these fools.

nikkas want to argue with officers on the side of the road and still go to jail but don't file formal complaints against the officers. The same officers end up killing someone years later and the news has no choice but to say "A 7 year veteran of the police department with no previous complaints or corrective actions"

You have to know when and where to pick and fight your battles. You can sue police departments and win without being shot, killed, tased, beaten, choked, and shyt.

Slimkid07

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Yea you're going to get fed up.
Yea you do have rights.
Yea it does get old.
Being polite doesn't always work and getting smart NEVER works.

Remember these nikkas are getting paid. You're not wasting their time. You're the one that's trying to go to work, or just go home. They're fukking your shyt up, not the other way around.

I've never been "conveniently" stopped aka I didn't have shyt else to do.

Like I said. Just give them your id or whatever, get their badge number and name and if they give you a ticket just take it. Take your ass home or to work or if you ain't got shyt else to do and you want to argue drive to the police station.

You're not going to out wrestle a cop and him be like ":whoa: you got the best of me, just go on home sir."
I have been "conveniently" stopped, a few times.
I wasn't doing anything. Not speeding, driving erratically, not using my turn signals, nothing.
I wasn't drinking or smoking, because I don't do that.

I stick my hands out of the window when officers approach my car. I call out every movement I'm gonna do and speak clearly and succinctly.
No records, nice car, college graduate, polite.
And I've still been hemmed up. :martin:
At the end of the night, I didn't get a tickets and went home.
But sometimes harassment is hard to take.