‘Pearl’ | Official Thread | A24 (Prequel to Ti West’s ‘X’, 9/16)

Warren Peace

Superstar
Daps
"NOTHING'S GONNA KEEP ME HERE! NOT YOU! NOT HOWARD! NOT MAMA! NOBODY!"

9c0bfd94ce1b439117bd0cda9a1b4175.jpg

:damn: :damn: :damn:

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
Just came back. Mia Goth really flexed her acting chops in this one.

Low key, I enjoyed this more than X.
X don’t touch this shyt …watched them both back to back since I delayed seeing either and the character development depth the tension the cinematography even blows X out the water …X is a dope slasher but this is some whole other shyt …Pearl was on some Jack Torrance level of devolving :whoo:

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
"NOTHING'S GONNA KEEP ME HERE! NOT YOU! NOT HOWARD! NOT MAMA! NOBODY!"

9c0bfd94ce1b439117bd0cda9a1b4175.jpg

:damn: :damn: :damn:
Bruh …I ain’t been this disturbed watching movie in I don’t know how long …when they did the wide pan of her pacing to the tree stump after her long monologue :damn: the tension :damn: the psychotic snap :damn: the fear in the sisters eye :damn:

Incredible

Warren Peace

Superstar
Daps
X don’t touch this shyt …watched them both back to back since I delayed seeing either and the character development depth the tension the cinematography even blows X out the water …X is a dope slasher but this is some whole other shyt …Pearl was on some Jack Torrance level of devolving :whoo:
I'm saying! This had so much more substance than X. Maybe it benefitted from having fewer characters to flesh out, or maybe this character was more interesting than kid cudi, the sex crazed blonde, the cuck director, the pimp, maxine, and jenna ortega with a southern accent that was really doing it for me, but Pearl was insane.

If Maxine is better... :banderas:

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
I'm saying! This had so much more substance than X. Maybe it benefitted from having fewer characters to flesh out, or maybe this character was more interesting than kid cudi, the sex crazed blonde, the cuck director, the pimp, maxine, and jenna ortega with a southern accent that was really doing it for me, but Pearl was insane.

If Maxine is better... :banderas:
Watching her devolve into complete madness was some literal gripping shyt …that’s why I compared the character to Jack in the shinning ..I’ve seen people in here talk about that final monologue being a chore ..but nikka …that was brilliant character expose …the build up was interesting enough to wait for the pay off because her dialogue made you feel for her plight a little which is a crazy accomplishment in itself ..and the way they captured the unease between her and her “sister” was fukking phenomenal …the way this is shot going from wide lense pan outs to close ups ..the technicolor… the score …instant classic

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
Shot out to the boy Ti West …he might be the young GOAT at this shyt …he got some W’s under his belt

BBG

Superstar
Daps
I don't understand how the overwhelming responses is this was amazing and way better than X. This movie is a classic example of an actor/actress being better than the movie itself.

All you have to do is imagine if the main character was just an average actor. Not bad, but not elite level actress and the shyt would fall flat. She literally carried this movie and while the argument can be made that she carried X too, it wasn't so glaringly obvious to me in that one.

Not saying I hated the movie, but I felt it really didn't have much of a plot (the audition? Really??) It was just us watching Pearl descend into madness. I mean that's great but I don't think it's too much to ask we get a real story with some sort of resolution at the end to go with the descent. How did Howard find out this bytch just murdered both her parents AND his sister and they go on to live happily ever after?? That needed to be explained, and it wasn't. Some poster talkin bout he feels bad for poor Howard because he has to keep his wife in check like WHAT I'm not convinced truly intelligent nikkas enjoyed this movie more than X

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Saw it on Showtime. I really enjoyed it. Such a different movie from X. Can't wait for Maxxxine. I was hoping for another nude scene with Mia, but that's neither here nor there.