Pearson Ditches Print Textbooks For College Students in Digital-First Strategy

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
Pearson Ditches Print Textbooks For College Students in Digital-First Strategy

Instead of revising all 1,500 of its active titles every three years according to the print schedule, the British education publisher said it will focus on updating its digital products more frequently, offering artificial intelligence capabilities, data analytics and research. Pearson is billing the decision as a way to help drive down college costs for students. But the company and the education publishing industry as a whole have been criticized for years for the rising prices of textbooks. That has pushed a majority of students into secondhand textbook markets like Chegg or spurred them to forego buying class materials altogether. The average cost of college textbooks rose about four times faster than the rate of inflation over the last decade. "Our digital first model lowers prices for students and, over time, increases our revenues," Fallon said in a statement. "By providing better value to students, they have less reason to turn to the secondary market. Pearson's e-books can cost about $40 on average and go up to $79 for additional learning tools like homework assistance. That compares to prices that can go as high as $200 or $300 for a print textbook, according to Pearson CEO John Fallon, though students can still rent one for $60 on average.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I on average was buying 1 or 2 textbooks at full price each semester, tops.

Instead I was buying old books off the previous students at half price, splitting a book with a study partner, and a few times not buying the book at all.

For poor students textbook prices were insane. I'd have spent $900-1000 a semester if I bought all my books at full price and this is 20 years ago.

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
pearson is smarting up. as should Cengage if it hasnt done so already.This is the Now forget the future.

I just had to purchase a used book only because the author never released it to be digitized. why? i have no clue. but i hate buying regular books for school, when i can RENT the e-book version. It is FAR superior than a regular old book. FAR.... Just on the strength that you can search the text with your computer/laptop/phone/tablet. Then there's a thing with some of these newer books where they have AI within the ebooks, where it helps you read the parts you NEED to read vs having to read thru everything to find out later half of that was fluff. These new ebooks are on to something.

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE
If I buy an overpriced book I should own it. The online shyt is basically a lease, and if you need the info after the lease expires, you have to buy it again. More ways the academic industrial complex continues to exploit.

A norton anthology on African American literature is becoming priceless because of all the various works it holds. 20 years from now it might really be worth some hundreds as we lose free access to books.

And guck the professors too who are complicit in this robbery.