Please explain to me why Keith Sweat isnt on the mount Rushmore of solo male R&B.

Daps
Keith Sweat: From Stock Market to Pop Market

Keith Sweat article from 1988. Check out some of these gems:

Sweat’s financial emphasis isn’t hard to understand, considering that he spent four years in New York handling brokers’ accounts at Paine Webber. He’s currently on leave of absence from the Wall Street firm.

“I definitely won’t ever be penniless,” Sweat said. “I’d rather put my money in CDs than buy a big car with a swimming pool in the back seat.” When this musician talks about CDs, he doesn’t mean compact discs.

The tall, lanky Sweat, 26, has a conversational style that is equal parts bravado and let-the-chips-fall candor. While the singer/composer/producer is gratified that his own music has broad-based appeal, he is critical of artists who “sell out,” as he puts it, in order to gain followers.
“I am strictly R&B;,” said Sweat. “That’s why I don’t buy Lionel Richie’s records. He’s gone pop. He’s forgotten the soul element and is talking about dancing on the ceiling. I can’t get next to that.”

ThaBoyBam

You don't respect your jaw!
Daps
Keith Sweat: From Stock Market to Pop Market

Keith Sweat article from 1988. Check out some of these gems:

Sweat’s financial emphasis isn’t hard to understand, considering that he spent four years in New York handling brokers’ accounts at Paine Webber. He’s currently on leave of absence from the Wall Street firm.

“I definitely won’t ever be penniless,” Sweat said. “I’d rather put my money in CDs than buy a big car with a swimming pool in the back seat.” When this musician talks about CDs, he doesn’t mean compact discs.

The tall, lanky Sweat, 26, has a conversational style that is equal parts bravado and let-the-chips-fall candor. While the singer/composer/producer is gratified that his own music has broad-based appeal, he is critical of artists who “sell out,” as he puts it, in order to gain followers.
“I am strictly R&B;,” said Sweat. “That’s why I don’t buy Lionel Richie’s records. He’s gone pop. He’s forgotten the soul element and is talking about dancing on the ceiling. I can’t get next to that.”
This nikka might low key be way up. If anything he had the bread and knowledge to take advantage of the .com crash and 2008.

MasterThought

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Now that I'm older I appreciate Keith Sweat waaaay more as a singer.

When I was young I used to think he couldn't sing but dude is an absolute MONSTER of a singer.

Now, his actual singing voice isn't the prettiest but when it comes to making a song "cry" (ad-libs & runs) , dude is a beast.

I think most people are confusing his singing voice with his ability to actually sing and bring passion to a song.

Ill use singers like Brent Faiyez & Bryson Tiller as an example.

Both of these dudes have very pretty voices BUT I've never heard any PASSION in the songs I've heard from them.

Admittedly I haven't heard too many of their songs so maybe I'm wrong but I can't imagine Brent Faiyez spazzing out with the runs & ad-libs like Keith Sweat, Wanya Morris, Gerald Levert , K-CI or a gospel singer.

If I'm wrong somebody post some songs from them doing it, again I'm just going by a handful of songs I've heard from them