Preference for 2nd Gen African Immigrants Over Native-Born Black Americans in College Admissions

Lotsford

All Star
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Preference for Second Generation African Immigrants Over Native Born Black Americans A College Admission Simulation.pdf

ABSTRACT
Two studies examined preferences for second-generation African immigrants over Black American natives in a college admission simulation. Study 1 showed that a Black American native applicant was less likely to be admitted when his competitor was a second-generation African immigrant applicant relative to a White American competitor. Study 2 showed that this preference did not occur when the two applicants of color were not in competition. Stereotypes and perceived SES did not explain these findings. Discussion suggests that accepting second-generation African immigrants may cover for prejudice by providing a socially desirable alternative to accepting Black American native applicants.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
@Lotsford

What is breakdown of the Black students who have been accepted into the UC system since race was removed as a consideration in admissions?

I would think that any serious study or discussion of this topic would eventually mention the ethnic backgrounds of college students in the California system.

Lotsford

All Star
Daps
Reppin
DMV
@Lotsford

What is breakdown of the Black students who have been accepted into the UC system since race was removed as a consideration in admissions?

I would think that any serious study or discussion of this topic would eventually mention the ethnic backgrounds of college students in the California system.

If it exists, I'm not able to find it. We're going to see more studies within the next 5 years going more in-depth with black attainment discrepancies and whatever factors may contribute. The diversity of the black population in America as for the most part been overlooked in academia. But as non-ADOS black populations increase, along with laymen becoming more aware of lineage within blackness, we'll see more attention paid to it.

This kind of conversation is starting to happen at Stanford tho. They use EEDA (Enslaved Descended African Americans) https://www.stanforddaily.com/2020/...ersity-concerning-a-george-floyd-action-plan/

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
@Lotsford

It's more than a few Twitter threads by scholars on this topic. As well as studies. If I have time, I will post.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
It's more than a few Twitter threads by scholars on this topic. As well as studies. If I have time, I will post.
Thanks

Cali has banned race and ethnicity in admissions for college for over a generation now. If the proportion of nonAA Black students remained the same from before Proposition 209(from 1996) or increased, I'd like to know and I'd like to hear these scholars explain.

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
If it exists, I'm not able to find it. We're going to see more studies within the next 5 years going more in-depth with black attainment discrepancies and whatever factors may contribute. The diversity of the black population in America as for the most part been overlooked in academia. But as non-ADOS black populations increase, along with laymen becoming more aware of lineage within blackness, we'll see more attention paid to it.

This kind of conversation is starting to happen at Stanford tho. They use EEDA (Enslaved Descended African Americans) https://www.stanforddaily.com/2020/...ersity-concerning-a-george-floyd-action-plan/
Thanks. This story has been covered for the last 20 years. For some reason, they all avoid using the UC system as a case study.
Seems that a large university system that legally cannot take ethnic/racial background into consideration going on 24 years now would be referenced in these studies.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
@Lotsford @xoxodede

I made two recent threads about the 2020 SAT score results, by race and gender.
Posted in two different sections of the board. Mods bushed them both within hours though there was no arguments, slurs, or even trolling . I won't post the PDF here, so that this thread doesn't get bushed or locked. You can easily find the threads by searching.

One of the alarming stats in the report was that 1% of the Black students tested scored in the top percentile (1400-1600). Students scoring in the top percentiles of standardized tests are reasonably the applicant pool of elite universities, and likely the ones gaining admission.

Black immigrants and their children make up roughly 18% of the total Black population in America. If they make up over 18% of the Black students scoring in the top percentiles, their admission numbers at elite universities would reflect that. If they make up a significant proportion of those scoring in the top percentiles, their admission numbers at elite universities would reflect that.

Last edited: