2022 Homicides Thread

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
One thing I'm a believer in, is that the best cities for black people, aren't super violent. Every city has its hot areas and spots but a city like Memphis being 65% black is irrelevant when it has a homicide rate approaching 50...

New York will always be an elite city for us because it's not overrun with violence, among many other appealing attributes for us. Same thing with Los Angeles, Sacramento, Raleigh, Virginia Beach, and a few other places...

This isn't the only criteria for being a good city for black people, not close, but to me the violent crime rates in a city matter. I can't champion cities as good for US, and we are the highest demographic dying at an abnormally high rate...
Jersey City, Boston, Charlotte, Tampa :ehh:

Newark has gotten a lot better :ehh:

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Jersey City, Boston, Charlotte, Tampa :ehh:

Newark has gotten a lot better :ehh:
Newark's improvement is remarkable. It's murder rate is still too high (though half what it was in the 00s), and it's black income level (Newark, NJ Median Household Income By Race - 2024 Update | Neilsberg) still too low for me to put it on the list of elite places for us, but can't deny it's grown positively in the right trajectory full stop!

Any insight on why Jersey City has always had more black wealth and middle class, and lower homicide and violent crime and poverty rates? There's a ton of black folk in Chilltown, and they are relatively close to each other. I've always wondered why they contrast so much...

Is it similar to Virginia Beach and Norfolk, which are culturally similar but are far apart in terms of black livability because historically black people with money in the Southside Tidewater area, chose to live in VB (and Chesapeake) over Norfolk. This has been a thing since the 60s/70s and has carried thru generations to the present...

Also, on the street side of it, The Beach is much more of a hustler's city. The city in general, starting with the whites, has always been about money, a flashy type city, and given its the desired place for us with money in the area, that's always been part of the street aura of VB, dudes are more about running it up and flash instead of grime and violence. Which, like any place, there's an element of that in VB certainly, but a city like Nfk in contrast, is just way more about robbing and killing. Is there a similar dynamic between Nwk and JC?

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
@ISO

Charlotte is definitely one of the elite places for Black people! I love Clt, we succeed there at high rates, the hot areas are very contained and limited, so much stuff for us there. I hear more about Orlando than Tampa, I've known far more of us to move to Orlando (people from Sac, people from Upstate NY, all kinda places in between), Orlando seems to have more of a buzz for us. The violence rates are roughly the same, yet Orlando has more of a rep as a more violent place. They are similarly black, and we actually earn about 13% more per household in Orlando, are less impoverished in Orlando, I've never been able to put a finger on why Orlando is stigmatized differently from Tampa...

Any Florida guys who can explain this please chime in, because it would seem to me that if Tampa is good for black people, Orlando is better..

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Newark's improvement is remarkable. It's murder rate is still too high (though half what it was in the 00s), and it's black income level (Newark, NJ Median Household Income By Race - 2024 Update | Neilsberg) still too low for me to put it on the list of elite places for us, but can't deny it's grown positively in the right trajectory full stop!

Any insight on why Jersey City has always had more black wealth and middle class, and lower homicide and violent crime and poverty rates? There's a ton of black folk in Chilltown, and they are relatively close to each other. I've always wondered why they contrast so much...

Is it similar to Virginia Beach and Norfolk, which are culturally similar but are far apart in terms of black livability because historically black people with money in the Southside Tidewater area, chose to live in VB (and Chesapeake) over Norfolk. This has been a thing since the 60s/70s and has carried thru generations to the present...

Also, on the street side of it, The Beach is much more of a hustler's city. The city in general, starting with the whites, has always been about money, a flashy type city, and given its the desired place for us with money in the area, that's always been part of the street aura of VB, dudes are more about running it up and flash instead of grime and violence. Which, like any place, there's an element of that in VB certainly, but a city like Nfk in contrast, is just way more about robbing and killing. Is there a similar dynamic between Nwk and JC?
Jersey City is literally on the other side of the tunnel from NYC. I think that has a lot of do with the difference. But JC has had it's crime and issues also. I think being almost an extra borough of a police-oriented city and the commerce aspect has its influence.

I can't speak on them on a street level, but you're probably closer to right than not.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Jersey City is literally on the other side of the tunnel from NYC. I think that has a lot of do with the difference. But JC has had it's crime and issues also. I think being almost an extra borough of a police-oriented city and the commerce aspect has its influence.

I can't speak on them on a street level, but you're probably closer to right than not.
Word.

Newark was brick city too the housing stock and population density could be a reason.

Brick City vs. Chilltown shyt says it all right there lol.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC

I've heard this before, so Jersey City does essentially act as an NYC borough?
Only place I've ever been in Jersey was South Jersey (Asbury/Monmouth County)...

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
I've heard this before, so Jersey City does essentially act as an NYC borough?
Only place I've ever been in Jersey was South Jersey (Asbury/Monmouth County)...
More or less yeah. Another thing is their development started much earlier than Newark, and the density to me made it easier for that development (and gentrification) to spread. A lot of Newark's amenities are concentrated and for better and worse I don't see them spreading much further out.