Project Managers / PMP holders of the coil - share your experiences

Daps
Hi everyone.
I'm currently studying to get my 35 pdus for project management professional (PMP). I wanted to get some insight into people here about your experiences in the field. Who here is currently a project/program manager and how is your day-to-day? Did you get your PMP or other certs? How did you break into the field? I'm studying to get mine and about halfway through the course and I wanted to connect with like-minded people.

mrallgood

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
VA
Hi everyone.
I'm currently studying to get my 35 pdus for project management professional (PMP). I wanted to get some insight into people here about your experiences in the field. Who here is currently a project/program manager and how is your day-to-day? Did you get your PMP or other certs? How did you break into the field? I'm studying to get mine and about halfway through the course and I wanted to connect with like-minded people
Been a PMP since 2007. Self studied one hour a day for six months until I felt ready for the test (get this book: and when you can pass 80% of the tests in it, you are ready)

I was always in IT (programmer to DBA to Systems Engineer to PM). Day to day is basically making sure projects are running as smoothly as you can and managing risks as much as possible. Also a lot of dealing with the stakeholders on the project(s) and managing their different personalities to keep them moving forward. The most frustrating part will be waiting for folks to do stuff while holding up progress. If you like dealing with people and can connect with anyone, it will be a breeze. Once you actually pass and update your resume/linkedin profile, the recruiters will start flocking to you.