Pull Ups Make My Arms Hurt

96Blue

Superstar
Daps
More specifically my right arm (elbow I think) and the pain will last like a day or 2. Anybody know what I can do to stop it?

:mjcry:

This shyt sucks.

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Finally hit me too doing pull ups. Its better than a few months ago but that shyt lingers like a bytch. Didnt attempt a pull up since july

:mjcry:

96Blue

Superstar
Daps
Might have to switch to neutral grip
Thank you, this has helped me so far. I also use a doorway pull up bar.

Another question: For a beginner in calisthenics, how many pull ups would you recommend I do?

I can do 5 non-stop, but don't know how many reps to do.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
@96Blue is it the outside of the elbow? Either way it’s probably tennis elbow. I’ve got an on and off case in both elbows. I started lifting much older so that combined with age probably just accelerated it for me. Best advice I can give you is two fold:

1. If you have the means go see an orthopedist. Tennis Elbow is common and they can give you a pretty simple cortisone shot that will get rid of most of the initial discomfort.

2. Just plan around the soreness because to some degree of you continue to train it’s going to flare up. You will have to skip somethings (I pretty much can’t do wide grip pull-ups) but overall you should be able to train fine.

The Guru

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Pull ups used to slowly inflame the back of my shoulder. For me it was probably from being behind a desk for 10 hours a day combined with body weight exercises.

96Blue

Superstar
Daps
@96Blue is it the outside of the elbow? Either way it’s probably tennis elbow. I’ve got an on and off case in both elbows. I started lifting much older so that combined with age probably just accelerated it for me. Best advice I can give you is two fold:

1. If you have the means go see an orthopedist. Tennis Elbow is common and they can give you a pretty simple cortisone shot that will get rid of most of the initial discomfort.

2. Just plan around the soreness because to some degree of you continue to train it’s going to flare up. You will have to skip somethings (I pretty much can’t do wide grip pull-ups) but overall you should be able to train fine.
Thanks, I've been doing neutral grip and everything has been good so far.

I just started doing pull ups since I lost a hundred and something pounds due to IF and this new job I have.

How many reps would you recommend I do?

I can do 5 pull ups non stop so far.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Thanks, I've been doing neutral grip and everything has been good so far.

I just started doing pull ups since I lost a hundred and something pounds due to IF and this new job I have.

How many reps would you recommend I do?

I can do 5 pull ups non stop so far.
Depends on how many sets you can cleanly do at 5. If you are doing them at home just look at trying add a rep each workout to each set.

Daps
@96Blue

My left forearm still bugs me but don’t give up on your shyt. I’m getting my back like Hogan in the 80’s off of 6 months of work. Next summer I’m a fukkin wild man