Pusha T and Malice of Clipse Interview With Greatest

LevelUp

🧞🪔 𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙂𝙚𝙣𝙞𝙚 𝙤𝙛 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙇𝙖𝙢𝙥 🧞🪔
Daps
Steven Victor: Do you guys remember the time we first met?
Pusha T: I actually don’t remember when we first met! I do remember the way, though. It was through [music executive] Nicole Plantin. I don’t know if Nicole called me or if I called her. She might’ve called me, but I felt like we needed help. I believe, at the time, we were looking for a publicist?

SV: I was talking to Nicole. I used to go into her office all the time because she had an office at Star Trak Entertainment, in the same building as Interscope where I was an intern. I would be talking to her about different things that I wanted to do. I was in her office one time, and I saw a photo of you guys, which sparked an idea. I was like, “Yo, this is my favorite group. Nicole, you need to get me in touch with them.” And she was like, “Oh, they’re looking for a publicist. I’ma give Pusha your number. He’s gonna call you.” And I thought it was cap because, at the time, I had never spoken to an artist directly like that.
Malice: That’s what I remember. I remember it having everything to do with a publicist. I also remember it was very, very convenient with you being in such close proximity to the office. You were always there to help us out in any way. You would sit in the meetings, you would run to the office, you would bring paperwork or things we needed to sign. Whatever we needed, I remember you always filling in the blanks.
PT: I do remember Nicole expressing that you were a fan of the group. Like, “Man, this guy always bugs me about you guys.” But it was definitely something that I was on her about. Was this before the We Got It 4 Cheap mixtapes?

SV: This was right in the middle of it. The first one had come out already.
PT: So it definitely—definitely—was about publicity. Because, at this particular time, I didn’t understand why the mixtapes weren’t in the streets versus them being on the internet.

SV: Oh, wow. I never knew that.
PT: I was highly, highly, highly upset. Highly upset that we had mixtapes that were so good and I could only find them on the internet—I couldn’t feel them in the streets. Coming from a mixtape background and being a mixtape consumer, and physically driving to places in Norfolk to buy mixtapes, I was angry that I could not see things like the Re-Up Gang mixtapes and We Got It 4 Cheap in the world. I could only hear about it or read about it on the internet and see the praise there. These are the best verses ever to me and I’m like, “The streets don’t even know it.” That’s why I had to speak to her specifically.
There was this man, [talent manager] Jason Swartz, who was very instrumental in this world. He was trying to tell us, “This is happening. People are fukking with you as fans.” He’s trying to talk to us about Pitchfork and NahRight. I’m like, “Man, I don’t give a fukk about that shyt. I’m going outside, and I can’t fukking find the tape.”

M: Yeah, yeah, yeah. You gave him the business. He was telling us that everything was good and about the fan base. I remember it was the college kids. He was talking all about how everybody was gravitating towards the mixtapes. I think you couldn’t see it.

PT: Right, I couldn’t. And I went crazy. Fast forward to 2021, 2022—sometime after Daytona but before It’s Almost Dry. I saw [Jason] at a club in Hollywood. He was like, “What’s up, man? How you doing? Great to see you […] Hey, what do you think about your fan base now?” He brought it straight to me. He was like, “Remember? What do you think about your fan base and how it grew?”
M: That’s how bad you gave it to him.

PT: I gave it to him so crazy back then that he remembered and knew to say it to me. And he was so right. He was right the whole time. I couldn’t see it then, though. I apologized like crazy.

SV: Unbelievable. Maybe this was because I was a publicist and I was in my own world, but I definitely remember having a feeling, around that same time, that the press was going to have more of an influence on what was popular rather than the streets.
PT: You were part of that world of hipness. You were part of the change. You were in the middle of it. We were out of it. We didn’t know what the fukk was happening. The value of it didn’t hit me until [our March 2006] show at Knitting Factory. It didn’t hit me ’til then that this was a real, viable world that I could see the value of.

SV: What are some of your favorite moments of us working together?
M: We have so many memories, Steven. Especially when you took us to Brooklyn, to the “90s” stretch of Flatbush, and we shot the video for “Popular Demand.” We had a great time. It was very wild. It was so wild, you can’t even put it into words.

SV: It was so wild. [Laughs]
M: I always look forward to you telling a story. You cannot get the words out without uncontrollably laughing, so you know that the punchline is coming—even to this day. Even in my absence, and then coming back, it’s still the exact same thing. It’s hilarious.

SV: Those do be some good laughs, but that time in Flatbush was crazy, man.
PT: The “90s” were crazy, but it’s not one particular moment for me. I felt the growing pains of the industry, and of you transitioning from publicist to manager. When I think about all those times—the arguing, the yelling, the pressure from other people, just in regards to you, people saying, “You should be representing them better.” When I think about everything and everybody’s opinions, we had a lot of rough times. But us being loyal to each other and collectively saying, “This is the team.” Even when there were bad moves, we were learning. Everybody was learning at this particular time. It wasn’t like you came in at the sweet spot of Clipse, “Grindin’,” our first success. You came in during turmoil—real turmoil. We fought through all that shyt. It’s not one particular time, but I feel where we are right now, that shyt just says a lot. It’s like, “Man, our success is the craziest, full-circle, fukk-you moment.”

SV: I learn everything through the times. From the beginning of when we started working together to yesterday, whenever we speak. I learned all of the shyt that I know now through our experiences—the good, the bad, the getting screamed at. There were a lot of growing pains on my part, as well. But to experience that level of loyalty, to have somebody believe in you, to look past your mistakes and the fukkups … that’s a lot. To learn from that is a priceless experience.

M: You learned on the battlefield. You learned in wartime.

SV: Was the inception of Clipse always thought of as a collaborative duo or was it of you as singular artists?
M: From the inception of Clipse, it was always the duo. By the time we had come up with Clipse, we were together as a group. Initially, it was just myself rhyming at first, but we were all hanging out together at Chad’s—Chad [Hugo], Pharrell, Pusha, myself and Tracey, a childhood friend of ours. Her emcee name was Tracey from Space. We called her “Space” for short. We were just all hanging out, but as far as rhyming, it started with me. Then one day Pharrell and Chad were playing a beat and Terrence wrote a verse. I think it was “Thief in the Night.”

SV: Jump to a few months ago and you guys debuted a track at Pharrell’s first-ever Louis Vuitton show. What did that mean to you?
PT: Debuting that track with Pharrell being the creative director and the first new era of Clipse, it set the tone and the stage for everything that’s to come. I feel like it’s that grandiose. The whole execution of it really let people know: The whole idea of Clipse, right now, 2023, there’s nothing small-time about it. It’s still that high level—high taste level, high art level, high everything that they should expect.
M: I feel like it was right in line with what the fans know us to be and what the fans know us for. I was captivated by being able to witness Pharrell, at this day and age, still at the top of his game. Also being able to witness my brother still at a high level at this point in time. Never mind how I see myself, but the fact the fans appreciate us and that we’re still here. Even on such a grand scale, when I’m with the family—my brother, Pharrell, you, Steven—when we’re together, I might miss how big something is because it still feels like it’s something we put together. No matter who’s there or who the big-money players are, I still feel almost like we’re in the comfort of our own living room because we’re together.

SV: Are there any artists, upcoming or from your generation, inspiring you guys today?
M Every time I work out, I always rock with 50 Cent’s Get Rich or Die Tryin’. I listen to that to this day; it’s my motivation. The only thing that knocked that out the box was Pop Smoke. He really caught my attention, as far as being inspired, with the energy, liveliness and the way he embodied who he was. Another person who I really believe speaks his language, and I believe that he’s true to what he says, is Lil Baby.
PT: As far as younger artists, I admire the fan bases and the energy that they build more so than the music. I admire their work ethic and them putting out song after song after song, and watching their work turn into stardom. Today, when a rapper reaches stardom, it’s basically a People’s Choice Award. Being that it’s the People’s Choice Award, you gotta respect it. That goes for all the young artists that are out there today who made a name for themselves, ’cause it wasn’t like that for us coming up.

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps
Pusha T: I do remember Nicole expressing that you were a fan of the group. Like, “Man, this guy always bugs me about you guys.” But it was definitely something that I was on her about. Was this before the We Got It 4 Cheap mixtapes?

SV: This was right in the middle of it. The first one had come out already.

Pusha T: So it definitely—definitely—was about publicity. Because, at this particular time, I didn’t understand why the mixtapes weren’t in the streets versus them being on the internet.

SV: Oh, wow. I never knew that.

Pusha T: I was highly, highly, highly upset. Highly upset that we had mixtapes that were so good and I could only find them on the internet—I couldn’t feel them in the streets. Coming from a mixtape background and being a mixtape consumer, and physically driving to places in Norfolk to buy mixtapes, I was angry that I could not see things like the Re-Up Gang mixtapes and We Got It 4 Cheap in the world. I could only hear about it or read about it on the internet and see the praise there. These are the best verses ever to me and I’m like, “The streets don’t even know it.” That’s why I had to speak to her specifically.
There was this man, [talent manager] Jason Swartz, who was very instrumental in this world. He was trying to tell us, “This is happening. People are fukking with you as fans.” He’s trying to talk to us about Pitchfork and NahRight. I’m like, “Man, I don’t give a fukk about that shyt. I’m going outside, and I can’t fukking find the tape.”

this speaks towards a lot of discussions we’ve had about Pusha in threads recently vis a vis his lack of core cultural impact…basically the argument Jim was making when calling him overrated…he’s elevated in spaces by the rap editorial classes whereas he never mattered like that in the actual hip populace… “the culture” so to say….interesting that Push, as I’ve been saying, knows this and has frustrated by it for years…it’s what’s behind the jealousy that fueled his rap feuds

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
this speaks towards a lot of discussions we’ve had about Pusha in threads recently vis a vis his lack of core cultural impact…basically the argument Jim was making when calling him overrated…he’s elevated in spaces by the rap editorial classes whereas he never mattered like that in the actual hip populace… “the culture” so to say….interesting that Push, as I’ve been saying, knows this and has frustrated by it for years…it’s what’s behind the jealousy that fueled his rap feuds

This.

Push's frustration about the Re-Up Gang and We Got It r Cheap tapes not being on the streets is something that wasn't an issue with Jeezy or Wayne. Jeezy and Wayne tapes had just as much impact as the albums if not more. People use the excuse that Pusha is a coke rapper, well so was Jeezy. Jeezy was huge in the streets and mainstream. No super producer helming his albums.

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
PT: Debuting that track with Pharrell being the creative director and the first new era of Clipse, it set the tone and the stage for everything that’s to come. I feel like it’s that grandiose. The whole execution of it really let people know: The whole idea of Clipse, right now, 2023, there’s nothing small-time about it. It’s still that high level—high taste level, high art level, high everything that they should expect.

Niccas need to come on wit it then

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
I disagree, wouldn't say never. He had his moment with Grinding and What happened to that boy.

I'll y'all just ignore history though, carry on.

OrdaineD

Pro
Daps
I disagree, wouldn't say never. He had his moment with Grinding and What happened to that boy.

I'll y'all just ignore history though, carry on.

And the Timberlake feature too. They were huge initially.... The Pharrell issues with jive stalled their 2nd album and that's what held them up something serious.

Last edited:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
People was fukkin wit them heavy in the streets when the first album dropped. So this isn’t entirely true. Also. When “We Got It For Cheap” etc etc was coming out. People knew about it but not in the way nikkas knew about the Jeezy and Wayne tapes. If u was plugged into the music heavy u knew tho. But I do remember having to put nikkas on to them tapes around the time. Even Styles P tapes was more heavy in the streets. We Got It For Cheap was known like Mood Musik was known. U basically had to be really into the mixtape scene basically. Like DatPiff etc etc. not only on the block type shyt.