Votes: 1 10.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 (it works)

Votes: 2 20.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
200px-UMES_color_seal.svg.png
220px-University_of_Maryland_Eastern_Shore_logo.svg.png

Our last profile was Paine College in Augusta, Georgia that received an average score of 6. Paine College has had its troubles over the years but most were hopeful it would make a recovery.

Today we cover one of the Maryland HBCUs, the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. Maryland, one of the most prosperous Black communities in the country, is in a fortunate position of having both four HBCUs and all of them as public universities. This makes them much more affordable than in states where primarily private HBCUs hold sway. Only a few other states have all public HBCUs (Pennsylvania, Delaware, DC, and Missouri) but none have more than two.

UMES, formerly Maryland State, is possibly one of the least well-known outside the state (along with Coppin) and is often overshadowed by Morgan State and Bowie State. However, it has its own charm and is in a unique and beautiful part of the state, the eastern shore. It is popular for its hospitality management, accounting, criminal justice, as well as physical therapy programs and is well known to MEAC fans as part of the conference. Until 1954, it was often the designated school for Blacks barred from undergrad at many majority White University of Maryland system schools.

What is not widely known is that UMES, as Maryland State, had one of the top HBCU football teams from the 1940s to 1970s and produced a disproportionate number of the Black NFL players in the league during that time.

Basic data (all data 2021 unless otherwise noted)

Founded: 1886

City, State: Princess Anne, MD

Type: 4-Year Public

Nickname: Hawks

Enrollment and percent Black enrollment: 2,384 (1,811 undergraduate), 58% Black but 23% of unknown ethnicity so likely 81% Black

Out of State Percentage: 26% (VA, PA, NY, and NJ are the top states)

Part-time student percentage: 11%

First Generation Student Percentage: 36%

Percentage of students from households under $30k/over $100k: 43% / 11%

Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 8:1

Admissions Acceptance Rate: 82%

4-yr/6-yr graduation rates: 22% / 41%

Transfer out rate: 39%

Male/Female percentages (Female:Male Ratio): 46% male / 54% female (1.1:1)

Tuition: In-State: $8.7k, Out-of-State: $19.3k

Median Federal Debt After Graduation: $27k

Median Parent PLUS Loans After Graduation: $22k

Median Earning 10-Years after 10 years from freshman year: $41,252

Median Earnings for specific majors after 3 years after graduation:
Computer/Info Sciences: $58,071, Rehabilitation & Physical Therapy: $37,953, Accounting: $37,868, Hospitaility Management: $37,309, Criminal Justice: $35,895

Top Majors by Degrees:
Criminal Justice, Biology, Hospitality Management, Rehabilitation & Physical Therapy

Endowment: $20M - 40M (est.); $20M gift from MacKenzie Scott in 2021

Alumni Engagement: N/A

Athletic Conference: MEAC (NCAA Div I)

Mascot: Harry the Hawk

main-nav-logo.svg

fit

Notable Alumni:

Clarence Clemons - saxophonist
Clarence_Clemons_Nov_20%2C_2009.jpg

Earl Richardson - past University of Maryland system president and president of Morgan State University
399px-EarlSRichard2009MSUGraduation.jpg

David Banner (real name Lavell Crump) - rapper
626px-David_Banner_at_FOB_Brassfield-Mora_2009-01-26_1.jpg

Main Campus
SSC-UMES-Campus-1024x339.jpg

Student Center
Students-outside-of-SSC-768x881.jpg

William P. Hytche Athletic Center
UMES-800x600-1.jpg

Screen-Shot-2020-01-04-at-11.54.12-PM.png

Thunderin Hawks Pep Band
GiveCorps%20web%20photo.jpg

UMES Diamonds

Miss-UMES-2011-12-Brittany-Harris.jpg

Rules:

1. Thecoli will be rating most of the 101 Historically Black Colleges and Universities during the first half of 2023.

2. You can rate the HBCU on several factors including academics, the administration, school experience, athletics, post-grad success, and the "talent"

3. You do not have to be an alum/alumna or have attended the HBCU to vote

3. You can rate each HBCU anywhere on a scale of 1-10.

4. The results of the poll will be displayed publicly.

6. This is not a scientific poll, don't take a high or low rating of a HBCU as the full measure of the "worth" of the school, whether someone should attend, etc.

7. The polls will be open for 96 hours

8. Rep and dap as many people as you like and don’t forget to 5 star this thread.

@Sankofa Alwayz is a UMES alum I believe

@SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @Get These Giants @Smokee Robinson @MostReal @Tee @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Willie Lump Lump @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @Karume @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @TheKongoEmpire @Son_Of_God @Theolodius_Black @mson @xoxodede @Anerdyblackguy @EndDomination @ab.aspectus @Peachstate @Gloxina @HarlemHottie @Originalman

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Great series and informative post about UMES. What gives it a +1 in addition to the work being done there ties into one of the details you pointed out: that it is one of four public HBCU schools in the state.

Maryland Settles HBCU Federal Lawsuit for $577 Million​

April 28, 2021
After years of legal wrangling, Maryland reached a $577 million settlement to end a 15-year-old federal lawsuit that accused the state of providing inequitable resources to its four historically Black colleges and universities.

In 2006, a coalition of alumni and supporters of Maryland’s HBCUs filed the lawsuit, contending that the state had underfunded its four historically black institutions and allowed traditionally white universities to duplicate programs offered at HBCUs, undermining their ability to attract students
Pretty egregious way that state govt tried to squeeze the lifeblood out of the Black institutions both ways.
Proactive leaders, legislators, and alumni fought back and won the battle though.
Moving forward, and without State efforts to undermine them, each school will evolve and develop distinct set of academic programs for the state, regional, and national economies. The additional funding will help them do that. They begin receiving funding from the settlement this year.

The schools in MD are on upward trajectories.

Last edited:

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Gave it a 5. I was in the running to get a full scholarship there back in 2002, but I wasn't impressed and bombed on the session. Probably bombed because I didn't care about the school, I didn't care about college at the time and that bled into my interviews.

Just felt like a run of the mill school for me and I wasn't feeling what part of Maryland it was in.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Eastern Shore is a good school, and it's pretty common to run into a UMES alum here in the DMV.
I forgot to include the sources for out of state students: top states are VA, PA, NY, and NJ

Top source counties in the state are PG, Montgomery, Baltimore, and Wicomico

Cool charts here:

AggiePride336.

Black American. The Sipp/Carolina.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
@Sankofa Alwayz is an alum, I believe.

I did not know David Banner attended this school. That’s what’s up. I believe they’re one of the founding members of the MEAC, but I didn’t know they were a powerhouse like that back then.

Great write up. I’ll vote, and give them a 6.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

UMES launching veterinary school in big, historic move to address need​

Dec 15, 2023
A new School of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore is becoming a reality. The University System of Maryland Board of Regents announced Friday its approval for the program that will be the second veterinary school across the nation’s historically Black colleges and universities.
When the first anticipated students are accepted in fall 2026, it will also be Maryland’s first stand-alone program.

“Our new veterinary medicine school will help UMES fill an unmet need on the Eastern Shore and throughout the state,” said UMES President Heidi M. Anderson. “Deeply rooted in our 1890 land-grant mission, this program will enable us to serve farmers, the food industry and the 50% of Marylanders who own a pet. It will also increase both the diversity of the profession and address the workforce needs of the industry. We’re deeply grateful to the Maryland Board of Regents and for the widespread support this program has garnered.”

'Innovative approach' leads to three-year program​

The timing could not be more appropriate, according to UMES’ Dean of the School of Agricultural and Natural Sciences Moses T. Kairo, who has helped lead the program from inception toward actualization.
“In terms of demand based on labor statistics, we are looking at 19% projected growth in the field over the next seven years,” Kairo said. “Black veterinarians make up only 3% of the population in this country, indicating a tremendous need to diversify the profession.”

Compared to traditional four-year programs, the proposed program calls for three-year completion. This “innovative approach” will allow UMES veterinary students to learn the same critical components found in existing programs but more expeditiously.
“Our goal is to use student time more effectively in order to graduate students a year earlier,” he said.

The program has been approved by the University System of Maryland Board of Regents and final approval by the Maryland Higher Education Commission is expected shortly, Kairo said. A consultative visit from the American Veterinary Medicine Association-Council on Education is expected to occur in the latter part of 2024.