Rate this HBCU Day 5: University of the Virgin Islands

How would you rate the University of the Virgin Islands?

• 1 (If there are no other options...)

Votes: 1 16.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (It works)

Votes: 3 50.0%

• 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
1 out of 10 kids graduating is damn near comical. Should be shut down quite frankly.

You have about the same odds of getting into an Ivy/Semi-Ivy, than graduating from that University (ofc not apples to apples).

About 1/3 graduate but most take at least 9 semesters. I honestly wonder if it the curriculum, financial burden, or something else why only 9% get out in 4 years.

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
We’re on the same page.

There are a handful of HBCU’s that I think are excellent institutions. If my daughters want to go to Howard, Spellman, Clark Atlanta, or FAMU, I’d support them.

Any other, and it’s not happening. If they have full scholarship, cool. I’m not paying for it unless it’s one of the schools that I listed above though.

Also, it will be instilled in them that they are there for an education. All of that “Greek Life”, turning up, and extracurricular shyt is not what I’m paying for.
Hbcu education is so relative, it’s honestly can you get into any of those bourgeoisie circles, actually Greek life is a key for some, it gets you in doors reserved for a small number

School is not really for an education ( i say that as a doctor) it’s to gain life long friendships, gain experience in life, how dedicated to a goal you are, how self motivated you are, and can you find balance, sprinkled in with the hope that some of your friends/acquaintances might be a gateway into some things later in life, and that your school has enough people out there that can give you a leg up, i assure you graduating from the biology dept at my school was no different that Howard, the difference is do it in more expensive, with black clout

TallMan_J

FBA/ADOS. APTTMH
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Knowledge and Wealth
Hbcu education is so relative, it’s honestly can you get into any of those bourgeoisie circles, actually Greek life is a key for some, it gets you in doors reserved for a small number

School is not really for an education ( i say that as a doctor) it’s to gain life long friendships, gain experience in life, how dedicated to a goal you are, how self motivated you are, and can you find balance, sprinkled in with the hope that some of your friends/acquaintances might be a gateway into some things later in life, and that your school has enough people out there that can give you a leg up, i assure you graduating from the biology dept at my school was no different that Howard, the difference is do it in more expensive, with black clout

You’re a doctor, breh?
:ohhh:

Growing up, there were only a handful of things that I wanted to be. An undercover narcotics detective, an FBI agent, a plastic surgeon, an ER physician or an oncologist (wanted to cure cancer). Respect. I love seeing Brothers as doctors.
:salute:

Anywho… Once I learned that a degree was not necessary to become a detective or a federal agent (depending on the agency), I dropped out and never looked back. Although, I wish that I did finish and attain my degree (it’s much easier to promote and climb ladders with that piece of paper), I have zero regrets and no student debt. I never got the full college experience neither, but it’s cool.

One of my close friends and colleagues is a Kappa (from the original Indiana chapter). He has some crazy ass stories.

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
You’re a doctor, breh?
:ohhh:

Growing up, there were only a handful of things that I wanted to be. An undercover narcotics detective, an FBI agent, a plastic surgeon, an ER physician or an oncologist (wanted to cure cancer). Respect. I love seeing Brothers as doctors.
:salute:

Anywho… Once I learned that a degree was not necessary to become a detective or a federal agent (depending on the agency), I dropped out and never looked back. Although, I wish that I did finish and attain my degree (it’s much easier to promote and climb ladders with that piece of paper), I have zero regrets and no student debt. I never got the full college experience neither, but it’s cool.

One of my close friends and colleagues is a Kappa (from the original Indiana chapter). He has some crazy ass stories.
I know he does