Rate this HBCU Day 81: Morgan State University

How would you rate Morgan State University?

• 1 (If there are no other options...)

Votes: 1 11.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (it works)

Votes: 2 22.2%

• 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
238px-Morgan_State_University_Logo.svg.png

We last covered Fisk University which received an average score of 8.9.

See the updated leaderboard here

Today we cover the final Maryland HBCU, Morgan State University of Baltimore. Morgan State is the largest and most well-known HBCU in Maryland. However, unlike many public HBCUs it did not start out as a land grant school. Morgan State had its antecedent in a school for Black children started by the Colored Methodist Society during the Civil War. Eager to found a larger school for Black freedman after the war, the approached the White Methodist Episcopal Church for support. Support was forthcoming and the Centenary Biblical Institute was founded with funds and land were donated by local business and religious leaders including the Irish born Thomas Kelso and Rev. Lyttleton Morgan (for whom the school was named Morgan College in 1890).

After becoming Morgan College, the school continued to grow with support of local leaders such as Black Yale Law graduate George W. F. McMechen and a $50,000 donation from Andrew Carnegie that helped fund the move to its current location (despite White community push back). In 1939, the state of Maryland took over the school in part of a plan to improve education for Black students and it has been public ever since.

Morgan State is a key institute for many disciplines such as computer science and engineering. It produces the second highest number of architects amongst HBCUs, second only to Prairie View A&M.

Founded: 1867

City, State: Baltimore, MD

Type: 4-year, Public

Nickname: Bears

Enrollment and percent Black enrollment: 8,469 (7,034 undergraduate), 93% Black

Part-time student percentage: 11%

First Generation Student Percentage: 33%

Percentage of students from households under $30k/over $100k: 41% / 13%

Out of State Percentage: 46%, (Top States: New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, DC, Virginia, California)

Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 16:1

Admissions Acceptance Rate: 85%

4-Yr / 6-Yr Graduation rates: 22% / 46%

Transfer out rate: 21%

Male/Female percentages (Female:Male Ratio): 38% male/ 62% female (1.6:1 ratio)

Tuition: In-State: $8k / Out-of-State: $19k

Median Federal Debt After Graduation: $28k

Median Parent PLUS Loans After Graduation: $23k

Median Earning 10-Years after 10 years from freshman year: $46k

Median Earnings for specific majors after 3 years after graduation:
Registered Nursing: $97k, Construction Management: $89k, Electrical Engineering: $88k, Civil Engineering $69k, Managment Science: $64k, Architecture: $51k

Top Majors by Degrees:
Business, Liberal Arts, Civil Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Architecture, Registered Nursing, Social Work, Biology, Education, Performing Arts

Endowment: ~$100M (incl. $40M from MacKenzie Scott and $20M from the Tyler family in 2021)
Tyler Family (the husband had to drop out of Morgan State due to finances and drove a UPS truck, rising to become a UPS VP and member of the Board of Directors)
bbc2cb8da5aa40418e334b8831883d6b.jpg

Alumni Engagement: 17% of alumni give back

Athletic Conference: MEAC (NCAA Div 1)

Mascot: Bears

Morgan_State_Bears_logo.svg

Main Campus:

Azure-MorganStateU-TylerHall-TeepleGWWOArchitects-2.jpg

163453.jpg

Business School
Business-School.jpg

Jenkins Hall (Behavioral and Social Sciences)
Morgan-State-University-Jenkins-Hall-Exterior-Hero-1900-1600x1069.jpg

Hughes Stadium
hughes-e1559587545741.jpg

Talmadge L. Hill Field House
fit

Magnificent Marching Machine
PAG0541.jpg

MagnifcentMarchingMachine.jpg

Cheerleaders
2444b4_4157883adc9a4486a595e2da1de2a260~mv2_d_3049_1799_s_2.jpg

cheer_meac3.jpg

Morganettes Dance Team
c-PersonalTheMorganetttesDanceTeam__IMG37662_1650081454743.jpg

252017619_293f0c9007_z.jpg

Miss Morgan State
3547e424a5eb2b4b79a0960008404747fdbb21df.jpg

@BmoreGorilla @feelosofer @PortCity_Lou_CooperRoad
@invalid @Originalman @#1 pick @Ziggiy @SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @get these nets @MostReal @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Sonic Boom of the South @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @Anerdyblackguy

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Notable Alumni:
Earl G. Graves Sr. - founder of Black Enterprise
234px-Earl_Graves_sr._2004.jpg

Samuel L. Myers Sr. - economist and often credited for saving many HBCUs in the 1970s as president of the National Association for Equal Opportunity (NAFEO) that successfully lobbied for billions in federal aid for HBCUs when many argued they were obsolete
edu.Myers-scaled-e1610410500262.png

Mo'Nique - Academy award winning actress and comedian (attended but graduated from Broadcasting Institute of Maryland)
165px-Mo%27Nique_attending_the_82nd_Academy_Awards_2010.jpg

Kweisi Mfume - long-time Maryland congressman and former NAACP head
192px-Kweisi_Mfume%2C_official_portrait%2C_116th_Congress.jpg

Robert Chew - actor that played Proposition Joe on the Wire
CHEW-obit-jumbo.jpg

Valerie Thomas - inventory of the illusion transmitter and NASA data scientist that worked on Landsat imaging formats
184px-Valerie_L._Thomas_standing_with_a_stack_of_early_Landsat_Computer_Compatible_Tapes.jpg

Clarence Blount - former Maryland state rep and first Black to serve as majority leader in the Maryland State Senate.
Clarence_W._Blount.png

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Great profile.
Leadership and trajectory have it positioned to be one of the top schools in the region, and likely the first HBCU to attain R1 designation.
Throughout the series, we've read about when/how/under whom certain schools became what we know them now to be.
Wilson has big plans and expectations for Morgan State. And he has the track record and relationships to follow through on those plans.
Going to take 15 years to see the full results of his vision for the school.

Thick_Necc_Jenkins

TheColi's Favorite Artist
Daps
Reppin
Port City Louisiana Cooper Road
Between 2003 to 2009 Morgan State was hell towards its students.

-Wack ass college was snatching rooms from students exactly 3 days before classes started

-Financial Aid Office was not processing shyt so breh and brehettes were missing 2 and sometimes 3 weeks of school

-The constant meetings with the Dean Of Students to get your classes back because the Financial Aid Office fukked up

-That stupid ass saying, "Morgan State is what you made it.

-Lorton State is what we called it.

-When strep throat broke out, the fukking infirmary refused to give out antibiotics and told students to geaux home to their primary care provider

-Under Dr. Earl Richardson, Morgan State bytched and complain about being under funded to the State of Maryland...they got their fukking money and guess what? They lost over 10 million when the audit came. Meanwhile they needed new dorms, Thurgood Apt was sinking...the Murphy Fine Arts Dept had horrific air flow for chemicals used that needed ventilation. And they had 1 refractory for the entire campus and Thompson Hospitality can eat a dikk!

-They snatched your rooms and then wouldn't put you in a hotel cause Morgan had to conserve money

-Also it got so bad one Fall Semester at Montebello that people were fainting and multiple Ambulances was pull up like the Busta Rhymes video and they were passing out snack and water caus eTHEY fukkED UP

-Let's not talk about safety. fukk it...Imma speak on it. Them blue light phone booths didn't connect to shyt. So if a lady got raped on campus she wasn't making any calls unless she had access to a cellphone

-The student gym was trash

-Walk-On try outs was ass. They literally had linemen checking WRs as DBs and then dismissed all linemen just to need linemen for practice squad

-Meanwhile cause the had Nautilus gym equipment for students, you never were able to meet the strength standards to qualify for walk-on. My broke art student ass was taking my allowance of 100 bucks a month and buying a bus pass $30.00 and a YMCA on 33rd St Gym membership to get in shape. That was hell brehs. Just to get to TRY OUTS and cover a fukking WR.

-Also fukk DR. CONWAY. bytch ass gon get mad at me for painting in the art painting studio on the white board that all students paint on and we just paint over it. The fukking windows still got grafitti on it. The desks too. But when my fat ass does it...it's WW3. THAT fukkING SCHOOL IS PREJUDICE AGAINST THE SOUTH. ESP LOUISIANA.

-They had the gall and audacity to kick me out after the shyt they did. I couldn't sue cause Perry bytch ass knew all the fukking lawyers in DC and MD and they wouldn't take the case once they heard his name.

-fukk dat school...fukk Dat School...fukk DEM nikkaS!!

-That's why Bowie State University has the honor and esteem privilege to say they have a former student in the permanent collection of the New Orleans Museum Of Art (NOMA)

After them bytch ass nikkas got me kicked out with 3.5 GPA with over 140 credits (I was geauxing for a triple degree...Art History, Fine Art Painting, and Psychology) I limped my big ass back to tell them the great news. Come to find out...NOT ONE OF THEM HAS ART WORK PERMENANTLY COLELCTED BY A MUSEUM.

And the negro that as hard pressed to get me expelled gon have the gall and audacity to say, "It took alot courage to show my face again.":birdman:fukk them nikkas

Scientific Playa

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Championships
Y'all know the coli gramps got stories..... OP, pls excuse me for sharing this Morgan State story in your magnificent HBCU thread. 😉

One of my homeboy's sisters went there and graduated from Morgan and had a successful career in social work. Red bone with tidday's galore and North Carolina Cherokee hair like her mother, not color struck just painting a picture. This won't be long. Getting back, her boyfriend and future husband played ball for Morgan and tried out for but didn't make it into the NBA. He landed a spot for a few years on a professional team in Venezuela when they had bigtime oil money. She told me dude used to bring home that South American product in his luggage before things got strict at airports. Anyway my homeslice wanted me to hookup with his sister on the strength for some reason so I did and would handle it when she had semester break. So moving along, she eventually married the guy. One summer me the homie and another breh went to B-More for the weekend. Me to visit a cousin and him to visit his sister that lived in Essex out in B-More County. Some of you may have heard of it in 'The Wire'. My two homies went in but I stay in the car out of respect for holy matrimony and knowing about the good times we had. :laugh: Coincidently O.P.P. by Naughty By Nature was blowing up the radio airwaves at the time! She came out to the car and invited me in but I declined.

One time we checked out a motel room and went to my buddy's job at Goodwill store in upscale Westport Conn on a Saturday morning and he teased her and said Sis, happened to your hair? His sis and I smashed (made love) each other's brains out like newlyweds that night and one more ginn in the morning. lol. At the time I had office cleaning business with an old GMC cargo/utility van and we did moving jobs for his customers delivering and picking up donations on the side. One time we picked up some carpets for a rich dude, gave him a tax donation receipt and the guy asked how much can I put on here? I buddy had game and told him that's between you and your accountant! 🤑 The guy put a big smile on his face and gave us some cash (i forget how much but it was decent) and his courtside MSG Knicks seats. He was a season ticket seat holder! We were in about the tenth row back from the floor. Saw the prime Isiah Thomas and his Pistons go up against Bernard King. Knicks won that night!

@skeetsinternal ... come on with it playa!

Scientific Playa

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Championships
Notable Alumni:
Earl G. Graves Sr. - founder of Black Enterprise
234px-Earl_Graves_sr._2004.jpg

Samuel L. Myers Sr. - economist and often credited for saving many HBCUs in the 1970s as president of the National Association for Equal Opportunity (NAFEO) that successfully lobbied for billions in federal aid for HBCUs when many argued they were obsolete
edu.Myers-scaled-e1610410500262.png

Mo'Nique - Academy award winning actress and comedian (attended but graduated from Broadcasting Institute of Maryland)
165px-Mo%27Nique_attending_the_82nd_Academy_Awards_2010.jpg

Kweisi Mfume - long-time Maryland congressman and former NAACP head
192px-Kweisi_Mfume%2C_official_portrait%2C_116th_Congress.jpg

Robert Chew - actor that played Proposition Joe on the Wire
CHEW-obit-jumbo.jpg

Valerie Thomas - inventory of the illusion transmitter and NASA data scientist that worked on Landsat imaging formats
184px-Valerie_L._Thomas_standing_with_a_stack_of_early_Landsat_Computer_Compatible_Tapes.jpg

Clarence Blount - former Maryland state rep and first Black to serve as majority leader in the Maryland State Senate.
Clarence_W._Blount.png

Many may not know that Earl Gilbert Graves Sr from BK was the first Black Man in the secret student Skull and Bones society at Yale University.
I subscribed to his Black Enterprise magazine for many years!

Scientific Playa

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Championships