Returnal (PS5/PC) (April 30th, Housemarque) - OT

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Thats a product of the genre.

Personally I think its a lazy dogshyt game design choice that a handful of games in the genre have such compelling gameplay they can get away it. This, and dead cells are the only two I can stomach

You didn’t like Hades?

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
i never understood this complaint (not saying it isn't valid, just saying). the starting over at death didn't feel drastically different from games like hades or dead cells imo. i also feel like when you get familiar with weapons that work for your playstyle, and unlock permanent upgrades, selene does not die easy.
Not trying to go all the way back to the beginning ain’t got time for that…:childplease:

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's exactly what it is since it's a roguelike. Some gamers just aren't a fan of that style. I loved it tho. Been meaning to hop back in and check out the free dlc.

that makes sense. honestly, i always get excited about first-person shooters, but i never buy them cause i never finish them. something about the format just does not work for me. even when it's a game like deathloop that i buy and {kinda) enjoy. i usually quit after a few hours of gameplay at the most. i wanna see my character!

Thats a product of the genre.

Personally I think its a lazy dogshyt game design choice that a handful of games in the genre have such compelling gameplay they can get away it. This, and dead cells are the only two I can stomach

i get the frustration factor, but one thing i think the genre does exceptionally well is replayability. since dead cells dropped i've played it more than any other game i bought since. even when i hate that game i always come back to it (baseball bat + machete + giant whistle + electrodynamics card = GOAT playthrough setup).

hades and returnal are up there as well. when you get the hang of them, the fun imo is in avoiding death for as long as possible.

Aveda

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
that makes sense. honestly, i always get excited about first-person shooters, but i never buy them cause i never finish them. something about the format just does not work for me. even when it's a game like deathloop that i buy and {kinda) enjoy. i usually quit after a few hours of gameplay at the most. i wanna see my character!

i get the frustration factor, but one thing i think the genre does exceptionally well is replayability. since dead cells dropped i've played it more than any other game i bought since. even when i hate that game i always come back to it (baseball bat + machete + giant whistle + electrodynamics card = GOAT playthrough setup).

hades and returnal are up there as well. when you get the hang of them, the fun imo is in avoiding death for as long as possible.

My problem with roguelikes is that they are designed to frustrate you and yoh do the same shyt over and over and over until you get a build thats so op that u can sleewalk thru the shyt. And i feel outside of those two games and maybe hades the genre is a lazy garbage ass thing that allows devs to make uninspired content built around their gameplay. And the rng :scusthov:

Then on higher difficulties its complete nonsense and you have to have a zen like being with the game to beat it. I played DC up to 5 cells and aaid fukk this. Granted thats the hardest part of the game but the fukkery they throw at you isnt fun at that point.

Returnal seemed the fairest of those games and thats probs why I fukked with it

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My problem with roguelikes is that they are designed to frustrate you and yoh do the same shyt over and over and over until you get a build thats so op that u can sleewalk thru the shyt. And i feel outside of those two games and maybe hades the genre is a lazy garbage ass thing that allows devs to make uninspired content built around their gameplay. And the rng :scusthov:

Then on higher difficulties its complete nonsense and you have to have a zen like being with the game to beat it. I played DC up to 5 cells and aaid fukk this. Granted thats the hardest part of the game but the fukkery they throw at you isnt fun at that point.

Returnal seemed the fairest of those games and thats probs why I fukked with it

fair. i can play DC at 5 cells, but i choose to stay at 4. i definitely threw a joy con across the room and cracked it playing on 5 cells, but if i'm being honest it's mostly because i'm a perfectionist and i know i can only get hit a certain number of times early if i wanna beat the final boss.

another reason i like these games is that they (along with fromsoft titles) definitely devalued the fear of dying in games for me. i used to consider dying a failure and get discouraged, but now i could give a fukk. i just focus on figuring out what skills i need to clear the level. and i feel like i dont die nearly as often in games now because these types of titles are so much harder than most other games i enjoy.

Only On Camera

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I just got to Phrike, got him in his third phase close to death and I didn’t dodge his melee in time, died, and turned this sht off :sadcam: I gotta go all the way through biome 1 again or is there a shortcut?

Microfracture

Real G's move in silence
Daps
Reppin
Knees
I just got to Phrike, got him in his third phase close to death and I didn’t dodge his melee in time, died, and turned this sht off :sadcam: I gotta go all the way through biome 1 again or is there a shortcut?
You don't have to but you'll want better equipment and a weapon when you fight that bytch again