Ricky Starks (Pretty Ricky What They Call Him) On Who Influenced His Promo Style

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps

AEW star Ricky Starks recently appeared on Drivetime with DeRusha, and he discussed his emotional promo after losing the FTW at Fight for the Fallen and more. Below are some highlights (via Fightful):

Ricky Starks on his promo after losing the FTW title: “I’m hopeful. You guys played a snippet of my very passionate and from-the-heart promo that I cut after my loss of the FTW Title where, I have felt like a time has been glossed over. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard, ‘Your time is coming, be patient. Your time is coming. You’re the future.’ I don’t buy into that idea. I don’t buy into the idea of ‘trusting the process.’ I don’t buy into the idea of leaving it up to somebody else. I’ve busted my behind to get to where I’m at and I’ve done it all on my own merit. The idea that I now have to wait for somebody else to allow me the time or whatnot, I don’t agree with it. At this moment, yes, this is my time to show ‘you’ve been missing out for the past two years.’ If you haven’t gotten on board with Ricky Starks, this is the time now. If you still don’t want to, that’s okay, I’m going to be alright at the end of the day. Regardless of wherever I end up in my life, Hollywood and things of that nature, I’m gonna be good. That’s the type of confidence I instilled in myself because I have the proof. The proof is in the pudding, I can back it up.”

On who influenced Starks’ promo style: “It sounds bad, but I haven’t really studied Flair’s promos. When you talk about great promos, you just say, ‘Flair,’ and it’s like, ‘Alright, let’s look at some other guys that aren’t really renowed for their promos. What makes them good but they didn’t get the recognition for it? That’s what I try to look for. I’ve been watching wrestling since I was five. Obviously, by this innate being that I am, I’m going to pick up things subconsciously that will come out that you can be like, ‘Oh, this is a good comparison to this guy or he reminds me of this.’ That’s great, I love that because we all share that same fandom. I love listening to (Steve) Austin from ECW cut promos. I love listening to Paul Heyman cut promos. Terry Funk as well. These are people that I watch and I go, ‘why do I like these promos?’ I figure out why I like them and what draws me to them. Then I go, ‘Okay, how can I do that same type of manner?’ I watch a lot of old pastors. The early 80s, videos of sermons that these people do because you can feel the passion that they have within those speeches they are giving.”