RIP Hammerin’ Hank Aaron

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
RIP Hammer. One of my favorite sportspeople and one of my childhood idols as a major Baseball fan as a kid.

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Hank Aaron Was More Than a Man Who Hit Home Runs

Hank Aaron will be remembered for his astonishing achievements as one of the all-time great baseball players, not least because he broke Babe Ruth’s home run record. But Aaron also ceaselessly fought to defend black people in a hostile, racist society.

The long life and legacy of Henry Louis “Hank” Aaron may be best summed up from a quote from his autobiography, I Had a Hammer.

I used to have talks with Jackie Robinson not long before he died, and he impressed upon me that I should never allow myself to be satisfied with the way things are. I can’t let Jackie down — or my people, or myself. The day I become content is the day I cease to be anything more than a man who hit home runs.

Today, in celebrating the life of Hank Aaron, most commentators have reflected on his status as the first professional baseball player to break Babe Ruth’s home run record. Most have even gone so far as to call him the “true home run king,” due to the cloud of steroid allegations surrounding Barry Bonds’s home run records from this century. But while Aaron was a home run hero, he also wanted to be remembered for far more than that.

Aaron lived long enough to see enormous changes in American society. But he never lost sight of the need to fight and struggle on behalf of others. He continued, until the end of his life, to speak up on behalf of African Americans.

In 2017, as most Americans turned against Colin Kaepernick’s protest, Aaron stated that he was “getting a raw deal” from NFL owners who refused to even consider bringing the former player back into the league. As Hank Aaron, in death, is serenaded with paeans to his “grace” and his “humble” demeanor, let us not forget that he looked up to Jackie Robinson as an example — and that both men were unmistakably, and unabashedly, black men who fought to make chances for other black people in a hostile society.

Hank Aaron Was More Than a Man Who Hit Home Runs

:wow:

I think for those of us that don’t watch baseball too much we lose sight of how important players like Baba Hank really were for all sports.

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
Read that caption :wow:

Mobile Baseball City,USA

My lil short ass coulda been like Altuve cept I never played baseball and I'm blind
92f6e3a10521f1edeae717bcbcd44295.png

When we getting a statue of Malik Rosier?

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
man I learned Hank had a family member kidnapped while he was chasing Ruth and shyt just made me sick how all these white people keep talking about how he dealt with racism with "grace & class". No he dealt with it by doing all he could to keep his self and his family safe and alive. I note that low key hate and then they gonna pretend that they always liked Hank and whitewash these facts about just how evil they were to him and his family. Like racism is something he stop dealing with when he got 715 or was some shyt like a fairytale that completes your life story :gucci: muthafukkas way too disingenuous

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Not that the crazies even care about facts, but for rational folk, this is what the doctors had to say:

Concerning Aaron’s cause of death, Fulton County medical examiner Karen Sullivan told AFP in an email: “There was no information suggestive of an allergic or anaphylactic reaction to any substance which might be attributable to recent vaccine distribution. In addition, examination of Mr Aaron’s body did not suggest his death was due to any event other than that associated with his medical history,” Sullivan said. "Based on the information provided by Mr Aaron’s family and physical examination of his body, it is my medical opinion that Mr Aaron’s death was not related to his recent vaccination for Covid-19.”

Morehouse's School of Medicine also released statements that Hammerin' Hank had not experienced any side effects between taking the vaccine and his death two weeks later. He died peacefully in his sleep, likely related to prexisting medical issues.