Rock Bands Your Family Liked

SupaDupaCool

Superstar
Daps
Kind of inspired by that "do we like Fleetwood Mac" thread...

So growing up it was mostly R&B, Soul, Hip Hop, dance music, etc like most black househoulds. But was there any particular rock bands or white pop artists--or even one particular song--that you remember your parents, aunts, uncles all being fans of?

For some reason my uncles and my Mom were really really REALLY obsessed with the band Queen. I have no idea why they were so fixated on this one band, cus otherwise rock didn't get played at all with my family, but im talking like they use to sit around and actually debate and argue about their work and shyt. One if my Uncles also owned a compilation album lol. Me and my cousins would be confused as fukk.

My Mom loved that Dido song..I think called "I wanna thank you"--The one Eminem sampled--so much she bought the fukking CD, and when I tell you there were Sunday mornings this fukking song was on loop for 6 hours straight...

Simply Red was another one. "Holding back the years" was anothed 6 hour Sunday morning loop.

When Titanic came out my mom and her boyfriend at the time would sit around and listen to "my heart will go on" forever. I don't mean behind the bedroom with the doors locked, I mean just sitting there in the living room, talking and listening to the song over and over. It was like some sorta ritual. Probably also debating the lyrics and shyt.

Last edited:

Cloutius Maximus

with the aid of the Funk...
Daps
Reppin
Altadena, California
My Dad (born in 1951) is a Nine Inch Nails fan which is weird cuz he don't really fukk with any other 90s rock bands. He put me on to Steely Dan and Funkadelic (saw them in Cleveland and GC took a hit from his joint)

i actually rock with Fleetwood but pops thinks they are ehhhh

SupaDupaCool

Superstar
Daps
Both my folks liked Hall & Oates and Tears for Fears.

My aunt (RIP) loved Van Halen.

Hall & Oates one of those weird, universally appealing bands that crossed rock with R&B so well. I can see why they have a diverse fan base to this day.

Auntie rocking out to Van Halen is awesome lmao. Almost makes you imagine what our folks were like when they were younger and discovering new things.