Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Rangers To Sign Roy Oswalt
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [May 29 at 3:30pm CST]

The Rangers have agreed to sign Roy Oswalt, Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News reports. The free agent right-hander sought a Major League deal in the $5-7.5MM range and appeared to prefer the Rangers to his other suitors. The Rangers reportedly required ownership approval to sign Oswalt, a Bob Garber client.

The Rangers stayed in contact with Oswalt this past offseason, but didn't have an opening in their rotation at the time. Once Neftali Feliz hit the disabled list, an opening emerged in the rotation and GM Jon Daniels struck. Rangers CEO Nolan Ryan and pitching coach Mike Maddux appear to have helped convince Oswalt to pitch in Texas.

Oswalt made 23 starts and completed 139 innings for the Phillies last year, posting a 3.69 ERA with 6.0 K/9, 2.1 BB/9 and a 45.1% ground ball rate. However, the 34-year-old's average fastball velocity dropped to 91.4 mph, and he had two back-related stints on the disabled list.

If the Rangers have five healthy starters when Feliz returns from the disabled list, they could use him out of the bullpen and rely on a rotation of Oswalt, Yu Darvish, Colby Lewis, Derek Holland and Matt Harrison.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
oswalt-smile.gif

Daps
nikkas still gonna lose the WS. if they dont win it ron washington will be fired (even though he's a great manager)

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
(even though he's a great manager)

What is this based on? The 138 intentional walks he handed out last postseason? The 15 times a year he decides to give away an out and have his 2-hole hitter sac bunt?

Daps
What is this based on? The 138 intentional walks he handed out last postseason? The 15 times a year he decides to give away an out and have his 2-hole hitter sac bunt?

im basing this on going to the WS 2 straight years. yes they didnt win but he's still a great manager. the last manager to take his team to the WS 2 straight years was Joe Torre back in 99/00. still take him over most managers.

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
tell that to the yankees, red sox and phillies (LAST 2 YEARS). give ron credit

I don't necessarily think he's a bad manager, and I fully admit that I know very little about the duties and importance of a major league manager behind the scenes. I think most people/critics/fans tend to underrate the aspect of the game that takes place outside the lines...

That said, his in-game management leaves A LOT to be desired. The playoffs are largely decided by luck, but he's done an awful lot to reduce his teams chances at winning beyond that. He and LaRussa put on a shytshow during the WS last year :laugh:

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I don't necessarily think he's a bad manager, and I fully admit that I know very little about the duties and importance of a major league manager behind the scenes. I think most people/critics/fans tend to underrate the aspect of the game that takes place outside the lines...

That said, his in-game management leaves A LOT to be desired. The playoffs are largely decided by luck, but he's done an awful lot to reduce his teams chances at winning beyond that. He and LaRussa put on a shytshow during the WS last year :laugh:

When LaRussa said the bullpen phone didn't work might take the cake

• Dap
Reactions: HHR