Russian activist and Putin critic Alexei Navalny dies in prison

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Russian activist and Putin critic Alexei Navalny dies in prison​

3500.jpg

Opposition leader, 47, was being held in jail about 40 miles north of Arctic Circle

Live: world reacts to news of Alexei Navalny’s death

Helen Sullivan and Andrew Roth

Fri 16 Feb 2024 06.30 EST

The Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny has died in jail, the country’s prison service has said, in what is likely to be seen as a political assassination attributable to Vladimir Putin.

Navalny, 47, one of Putin’s most visible and persistent critics, was being held in a jail about 40 miles north of the Arctic Circle where he had been sentenced to 19 years under a “special regime”. In a video from the prison in January, he had appeared gaunt with his head shaved.

In a statement, the federal penitentiary service for the region where Navalny was incarcerated said that he had “felt unwell after a walk and almost immediately lost consciousness”.

“All necessary resuscitation measures were carried out but did not yield positive results,” the statement read. “The paramedics confirmed the death of the convict.”

The cause of death had not been established, the penitentiary service said. Navalny had previously been treated in hospital after complaining of malnourishment and other ailments due to mistreatment in the prison.

A lawyer for Navalny did not immediately confirm reports of his death, telling the Novaya Gazeta newspaper that Navalny’s family had requested him not to comment on the reports.

“Alexei had a lawyer at his place on Wednesday,” Leonid Solovyev, his laywer, told Novaya Gazeta. “Everything was normal then.”

A close aide also did not confirm the reports of Navalny’s death.

The Kremlin said it had no information on the cause of death. Putin had been informed of Navalny’s death, his spokesman, Dmitri Peskov, said.

In early December Navalny had disappeared from a prison in the Vladimir region, where he was serving a 30-year sentence on extremism and fraud charges that he had called political retribution for leading the anti-Kremlin opposition of the 2010s. He did not expect to be released during Putin’s lifetime.

A former nationalist politician, Navalny helped foment the 2011-12 protests in Russia by campaigning against election fraud and government corruption, investigating Putin’s inner circle and sharing the findings in slick videos that garnered hundreds of millions of views.

The high-water mark in his political career came in 2013, when he won 27% of the vote in a Moscow mayoral contest that few believed was free or fair. He remained a thorn in the side of the Kremlin for years, identifying a palace built on the Black Sea for Putin’s personal use, mansions and yachts used by the ex-president Dmitry Medvedev, and a sex worker who linked a top foreign policy official with a well-known oligarch.

In 2020, Navalny fell into a coma after a suspected poisoning using novichok by Russia’s FSB security service and was evacuated to Germany for treatment. He recovered and returned to Russia in January 2021, where he was arrested on a parole violation charge and sentenced to his first of several jail terms that would total more than 30 years behind bars.

Putin has recently launched a presidential campaign for his fifth term in office. He is already the longest-serving Russian leader since Joseph Stalin and could surpass him if he runs again for office in 2030, a possibility since he had the constitutional rules on term limits rewritten in 2020.

More details soon …

• Sad
Reactions: MMS

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Alexei Navalny's wife Yulia Navalnaya has X social media account suspended​

Alexei Navalny's Anti-Corruption Foundation tagged Elon Musk in a post on X, asking him to "please explain exactly which rules were violated" by Yulia Navalnaya for the suspension.

Tuesday 20 February 2024 13:57, UK

skynews-yulia-navalnaya-yulia_6461997.jpg

Image:Yulia Navalnaya, widow of Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny. Pic: Navalny Team/AP

Why you can trust Sky News

Alexei Navalny's widow Yulia Navalnaya has had her account suspended on social media platform X.

It is unclear why her account was suspended by the social network, formerly Twitter - which is owned by Elon Musk.

"Account suspended," a notice said on the site.

Mr Navalny, 47, was a high-profile and vocal critic of Russian President Vladimir Putin and had been serving a 19-year prison term when he died on Friday in an Arctic penal colony.

His Anti-Corruption Foundation tagged Mr Musk in a post on X, asking him to "please explain exactly which rules were violated" by Ms Navalnaya for the suspension.

Just over half an hour later, X restored Ms Navalnaya's access to the social media platform.

Earlier today on her X account, Ms Navalnaya urged the Kremlin to "give back Alexei's body and let him be buried with dignity".

On Monday he vowed to continue her husband's fight against the Kremlin - and accused Mr Putin of killing the country's opposition leader in a powerful nine-minute video.

In the video, published on YouTube and shared on X by Mr Navalny's official spokesperson Kira Yarmysh, she also alleged officials' refusal to hand over his body to his mother was part of a cover-up.

"They are cowardly and meanly hiding his body, refusing to give it to his mother and lying miserably while waiting for the trace of" poison to disappear, Ms Navalnaya said.

She suggested her husband might have been killed with a novichok-style nerve agent.

The Kremlin has denied the allegations as "unfounded" and "insolent".

Mr Putin's spokesman Dmitry Peskov said: "These are absolutely unfounded, insolent accusations about the head of the Russian state."

In her video statement, Ms Navalnaya said: "By killing Alexei, Putin killed half of me, half of my heart and half of my soul."

"But I still have the other half, and it tells me that I have no right to give up.

"I will continue the work of Alexei Navalny," she said.

Mr Navalny's mother, Lyudmila Navalnaya, said in a video on Tuesday taken outside the barbed wire of the prison where her son died: "For the fifth day, I have been unable to see him. They wouldn't release his body to me.

"And they're not even telling me where he is."

She added: "I'm reaching out to you, Vladimir Putin.

"The resolution of this matter depends solely on you. Let me finally see my son.

"I demand that Alexei's body is released immediately, so that I can bury him like a human being," she said in the footage posted on social media by Mr Navalny's team.

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly.

Please refresh the page for the fullest version.