RZA Names the 2 Kung Fu Flicks Every Curious Kid Should Watch

KingsOfKings

𝔻𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕞 𝕄𝕖𝕣𝕔𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥
Daps

You watch a movie; you believe it, right?” continues RZA. “You believe that Superman could fly. [In kung fu movies] you watch a man, through his own training, from doing pushups or carrying bottles or jugs of water up steps and all this, he builds himself up to go and defeat an enemy. These movies also displayed a lot of brotherhood. Two guys meet each other and become brothers. That’s why I emulated that in Man with the Iron Fists when Jack Knife meets the Blacksmith – he molds his arms for him! ‘Hey, I got some new arms; I’m gonna give you the mold.” That kind of chivalry always resonated.”

My buddy Darren Smith and I chatted with RZA and Tim League in the Alamo’s theater two before walking to theater five, where The Man with the Iron Fists was set to screen. Before we entered the interview, we debated the essential kung fu films. My nephew Max recently discovered a passion for movies, and I was looking for the best kung fu flicks to kickstart an obsession with the genre. Of course, we had to take the question to RZA.

“I think he goes with two,” he says, “but back to back. He goes 36th Chamber of Shaolin, and he goes Five Deadly Venoms. Because this way, he gets the grounded historical concept of kung fu, the Shaolin temple, and the spirituality, but then at Five Deadly Venoms, he gets the fantastical version of kung fu. A guy can actually walk up a wall using a lizard style or have iron skin using the toad style. I think those two are good ones.”