'Saltwata Vibes' - Documentary Exploring Gullah Geechee Culture Slated for 2023 Release

JasoRockStar

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Charleston, SC

Saltwata Vibes

MFort Photo/Freda Funye/Crush Rush
Brother Sister duo and children of Ron and Natalie Daise, from popular 1990s Nickelodeon TV show Gullah Gullah Island–Simeon Daise (CW All American, FX Snowfall, ‘Cheaper by the Dozen’) and Sara Makeba Daise are teaming up to executive produce Saltwata Vibes.

The siblings will document their journey exploring their Gullah Geechee identity, the culture, it’s evolution, traditions, challenges, and their journey of crafting a generationally relevant cultural identity and the messiness of modernizing a culture. The documentary will be directed by Sherard “Shekeese” Duvall who is also a producer. Saltwata Vibes is now filming in South Carolina and is slated for a Spring 2023 release.

As their generation of Gullah Geechee face the challenges of finding an identity when you are born within a culture, that is within a culture, that is within a culture – this documentary will take them from South Carolina to Sierra Leone and back.

Saltwata Vibes follows Sara and Simeon as they travel to their home on St. Helena Island, to Simeon’s stomping grounds in Los Angeles, all the way to their ancestral home Sierra Leone. In search of a past that may be able to inspire the future. Today, they represent a new era of African-Americans from the Sea Island coast, raised in Gullah Geechee cultural traditions, immersed in its stories and language. Their generation is now asking, where is our identity inside this inherited blend of West African and South Carolina cultures, fused through slavery, commodified through tourism, and now influenced by a modern, mediated world? They have teamed up with a diverse team of Gullah Geechee experts, music historians, linguists, and musicologists to help navigate the narrative of the film with accurate cultural and historical context.

“As a Public Historian and Afrofuturist,” states Sara, “I’m excited to highlight that the evolution, creativity, and agency of Gullah Geechee people and culture is as important as the incredibly significant history.” Simeon adds, “Gullah culture has been the inspiration and foundation behind so much cultural evolution and progress. Our culture is seemingly a goldmine that everyone has cashed in on, except for us.”

Saltwata Vibes will also introduce us to renowned scholars that talk about the evolution of culture and language, chefs that are reviving Gullah cuisine, musicians, fashion designers and LGBT activists who are actively redefining inherited cultures and remaking what it means to identify as Gullah Geechee.

https://eb2.3lift.com/pass?tl_click...0098302&ts=1654011017&bcud=6000&ss=7&cb=36451

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY

Saltwata Vibes

MFort Photo/Freda Funye/Crush Rush
Brother Sister duo and children of Ron and Natalie Daise, from popular 1990s Nickelodeon TV show Gullah Gullah Island–Simeon Daise (CW All American, FX Snowfall, ‘Cheaper by the Dozen’) and Sara Makeba Daise are teaming up to executive produce Saltwata Vibes.

The siblings will document their journey exploring their Gullah Geechee identity, the culture, it’s evolution, traditions, challenges, and their journey of crafting a generationally relevant cultural identity and the messiness of modernizing a culture. The documentary will be directed by Sherard “Shekeese” Duvall who is also a producer. Saltwata Vibes is now filming in South Carolina and is slated for a Spring 2023 release.

As their generation of Gullah Geechee face the challenges of finding an identity when you are born within a culture, that is within a culture, that is within a culture – this documentary will take them from South Carolina to Sierra Leone and back.

Saltwata Vibes follows Sara and Simeon as they travel to their home on St. Helena Island, to Simeon’s stomping grounds in Los Angeles, all the way to their ancestral home Sierra Leone. In search of a past that may be able to inspire the future. Today, they represent a new era of African-Americans from the Sea Island coast, raised in Gullah Geechee cultural traditions, immersed in its stories and language. Their generation is now asking, where is our identity inside this inherited blend of West African and South Carolina cultures, fused through slavery, commodified through tourism, and now influenced by a modern, mediated world? They have teamed up with a diverse team of Gullah Geechee experts, music historians, linguists, and musicologists to help navigate the narrative of the film with accurate cultural and historical context.

“As a Public Historian and Afrofuturist,” states Sara, “I’m excited to highlight that the evolution, creativity, and agency of Gullah Geechee people and culture is as important as the incredibly significant history.” Simeon adds, “Gullah culture has been the inspiration and foundation behind so much cultural evolution and progress. Our culture is seemingly a goldmine that everyone has cashed in on, except for us.”

Saltwata Vibes will also introduce us to renowned scholars that talk about the evolution of culture and language, chefs that are reviving Gullah cuisine, musicians, fashion designers and LGBT activists who are actively redefining inherited cultures and remaking what it means to identify as Gullah Geechee.

https://eb2.3lift.com/pass?tl_clickthrough=true&redir=https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/523390858;331046031;z&pr=2.2&bc=6.0&aid=15026376610921509257040&bmid=3658&biid=3658&sid=23278&did=29740&tid=11646531&clid=11248192&brid=555284&adid=11606912&crid=10098302&ts=1654011017&bcud=6000&ss=7&cb=36451
They just can’t help themselves, can they

Jcotton1

All Star
Daps
Will check for it this da culture sickens me. I'm I got a chance to explore it pre social media. Thanks my folks having us visiting family. Now all the Thots/ skreets dudes gotta make Charleston the new Atl or Miami true culture southern and laid back lifestyle gone to hell never to return.

I'm glad my nana got me some sweet grass baskets B4 it became early 20s rap culture popular. Now you gonna hear dudes/ chicks rapping and singing about the low country.

Glad I got some antebellum grits on deck.

Last edited:

JasoRockStar

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Charleston, SC
Will check for it this da culture sickens me. I'm I got a chance to explore it pre social media. Thanks my folks having us visiting family. Now all the Thots/ skreets dudes gotta make Charleston the new Atl or Miami true culture southern and laid back lifestyle gone to hell never to return.

I'm glad my nana got me some sweet grass baskets B4 it became early 20s rap culture popular. Now you gonna hear dudes/ chicks rapping and singing about the low country.

Glad I got some antebellum grits on deck.
Facts. Cacs using our terminology to name their bland ass soggy food too. Still, I'm glad the language and GG culture is finally getting spotlighted in a way that the younger generation can keep it alive and possibly expand it, especially w/ so many of us getting spread out.
Grandma finally hooked me up with all her recipes last month.:blessed: Bout to cook me some red rice tonight

Jcotton1

All Star
Daps
Facts. Cacs using our terminology to name their bland ass soggy food too. Still, I'm glad the language and GG culture is finally getting spotlighted in a way that the younger generation can keep it alive and possibly expand it, especially w/ so many of us getting spread out.
Grandma finally hooked me up with all her recipes last month.:blessed: Bout to cook me some red rice tonight

I'm apart of that generation. Keep pc these manners nor tact having mofos gonna take their loud selves gonna film every thing 4 tic Tok and IG thot screw cuss the local folk out and leave. Unk/aunt Charlemagne gonna cheér this as black progress him being from monks corner SC. Da culture ruins everything they touch and or deem hot.

Bonnet set twerking on the damn table at the local spots. Du rag gang gonna be sucka punching the elders .

I would keep it funky but I can't. I hate to see us discover new places I seriously do. Many would screw up the Swiss Alps and Monaco. I'm grateful I got a chance to ski Japan through with my Jim Dandy ski club fam a few yrs back