Scientists grow wood in a lab without cutting a single tree

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
cool. since it's lab grown, they need to improve on real wood while they're at it.

i have a lot of common zinnia in my garden. a few years back i bought a box of seeds from dollar tree and every spring they keep coming back more plentiful than before.

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
I wonder if this would decrease lumber costs in construction or would capitalism take over and take advantage of the fact harvesting natural lumber at a cheaper cost isn't climate friendly?

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I wonder if this would decrease lumber costs in construction or would capitalism take over and take advantage of the fact harvesting natural lumber at a cheaper cost isn't climate friendly?
did you have to ask :usure:

we already see it with composite wood decks - "oh this shyt aint gonna break down and make you reseal you deck every two years and fully rebuild every 10? charge them double!"

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
did you have to ask :usure:

we already see it with composite wood decks - "oh this shyt aint gonna break down and make you reseal you deck every two years and fully rebuild every 10? charge them double!"
True but I was also thinking of the high-end snobs who will pay top dollar to brag about all of their wood finishings in their home being "natural" wood imported from some remote location few have heard of.

Jcotton1

All Star
Daps
True but I was also thinking of the high-end snobs who will pay top dollar to brag about all of their wood finishings in their home being "natural" wood imported from some remote location few have heard of.

It's a legit market for old barn wood and homes deconstructed and wood salvaged from the early 1900s trust. Two things you can't get more of acres of land and real wood with "character" vintage nail marks from two centuries ago.